Ideas/Recommendations for Spring Break dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the process of picking out a place to go in April for spring break. I have been filtering through so many trip reports and recommendations on here and it is a bit overwhelming. I thought I would take a shot at asking for some recommendations based on what our needs are. We are a family of 4. Myself and my daughter (11yo) dive, my wife and my daughter 8 yrs do not dive. I am looking for a place to help her build confidence and experience. To date her dives have been a single shallow dive in Roataan, lake dives with viz in the 3-15 ft range, and Florida springs. I really want to get her on some great viz OW dives with plenty to see.

We are looking for 7-10 days depending on the flights I can get. I am trying to stick with SWA since I have the miles. She is Jr OW so we will keep the dives to her level, shallow, to 40 ft or so. We are comfortable diving as a pair once I get the lay of the land. I do photography and she wants to do some as well so it is important that we can linger and take our time for many of the dives we do rather than be on a constantly moving reef tour. The dive op needs to be ok with a certified 11 year old (some places restrict age). We are ok with a resort, an AI, or piecing everything together ourselves. Our preference is usually with slow pace, off the beaten path places. Ideally there would be activities for my wife and young daughter such as a pool, or nice beach area to play at and maybe snorkel. Self catering is usually our preference to save money but we are open to not having it. We don't mind renting a car to drive, but if everything is walk-able we would do that. We have all our own gear so would only be getting tanks, and weights. A house reef would be nice to add more dives beyond the standard 2 tank trips. And of course I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

Based on the SWA locations I have ruled out the following due to poor logistics or poor diving. San Juan, Punta Cana, Montego Bay. I am have been looking at FLL and then down to Key Largo to dive with Rainbow reef or another op in the area. It is fast, a direct flight, slow paced, shallow and easily accessible sites and the cheapest flights. Cayman is up there on the list but is much more expensive. Coz is supposed to be a good bang for your buck, but I am not sure if there are many suitable dives sites for her, as I believe most are deeper than 40ish and are drift dives. I don't think I want to layer on drift diving until she gains some more experience, It also makes photography a bigger challenge.
Am I missing any other options? What would be your top rated ops that could fit what we are looking for? In Cayman I have looked at Sunset House, Ocean Frontiers, and maybe CBBR but they have not returned my email yet asking about package options with my situation. In FLL I have looked at Rainbow Reef, and Horizon divers. I have not looked at anything in Coz yet.

I am also curious how ops handle the packages were you get progressive discounts for more trips. I want to do 5 trips/10 tanks for each of us. What do most of you do, book that or book the minimum you will do and add more as you go? If you do the later do you get the discounted rate. My concern is we sign up for what we want then one of us gets sick, congested, or doesn't want to dive a day.

Coz and Cayman, have a lot of deeper don't miss dives, save them for later, once she turns OW. The keys are a good choice, some good topside activities for the family, and nice easy shallow diving. Safety/security for the little one and the wife are also a plus. Lots of vrbo type options, Kayama (?) yacht club in largo, was great for us when the kids were younger. lately we have stayed in marathon at Key colony.

I was considering a similar choice this year for a spring break trip for a mixed family of divers and nondivers, with one of the divers being my daughter, and I was looking for nice easy novice diving as well. Grand Cayman was the best choice. We had considered Fort Lauderdale and Key Largo, as we had a good experience in the past, but that was during the summer. Our last trip to Key Largo was in the spring, and the surface conditions were not exactly calm, with some days being quite sporty, and I know my daughter would not be comfortable with a boat dive under those circumstances.
However, there are some draws stronger than diving, so the actual spring break plan that has materialized involves a visit to the house of mouse with a side day trip to Crystal River to swim with manatees and dive Rainbow River. We're saving FLL/Key Largo for a summer trip to take advantage of better weather for diving.

Thanks, So one vote for Cayman and one vote for Keys, anyone else.

I am in the process of picking out a place to go in April for spring break. I have been filtering through so many trip reports and recommendations on here and it is a bit overwhelming. I thought I would take a shot at asking for some recommendations based on what our needs are. We are a family of 4. Myself and my daughter (11yo) dive, my wife and my daughter 8 yrs do not dive. I am looking for a place to help her build confidence and experience. To date her dives have been a single shallow dive in Roataan, lake dives with viz in the 3-15 ft range, and Florida springs. I really want to get her on some great viz OW dives with plenty to see.

We are looking for 7-10 days depending on the flights I can get. I am trying to stick with SWA since I have the miles. She is Jr OW so we will keep the dives to her level, shallow, to 40 ft or so. We are comfortable diving as a pair once I get the lay of the land. I do photography and she wants to do some as well so it is important that we can linger and take our time for many of the dives we do rather than be on a constantly moving reef tour. The dive op needs to be ok with a certified 11 year old (some places restrict age). We are ok with a resort, an AI, or piecing everything together ourselves. Our preference is usually with slow pace, off the beaten path places. Ideally there would be activities for my wife and young daughter such as a pool, or nice beach area to play at and maybe snorkel. Self catering is usually our preference to save money but we are open to not having it. We don't mind renting a car to drive, but if everything is walk-able we would do that. We have all our own gear so would only be getting tanks, and weights. A house reef would be nice to add more dives beyond the standard 2 tank trips. And of course I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

Based on the SWA locations I have ruled out the following due to poor logistics or poor diving. San Juan, Punta Cana, Montego Bay. I am have been looking at FLL and then down to Key Largo to dive with Rainbow reef or another op in the area. It is fast, a direct flight, slow paced, shallow and easily accessible sites and the cheapest flights. Cayman is up there on the list but is much more expensive. Coz is supposed to be a good bang for your buck, but I am not sure if there are many suitable dives sites for her, as I believe most are deeper than 40ish and are drift dives. I don't think I want to layer on drift diving until she gains some more experience, It also makes photography a bigger challenge.
Am I missing any other options? What would be your top rated ops that could fit what we are looking for? In Cayman I have looked at Sunset House, Ocean Frontiers, and maybe CBBR but they have not returned my email yet asking about package options with my situation. In FLL I have looked at Rainbow Reef, and Horizon divers. I have not looked at anything in Coz yet.

I am also curious how ops handle the packages were you get progressive discounts for more trips. I want to do 5 trips/10 tanks for each of us. What do most of you do, book that or book the minimum you will do and add more as you go? If you do the later do you get the discounted rate. My concern is we sign up for what we want then one of us gets sick, congested, or doesn't want to dive a day.

Your daughter has dived in lakes and springs so she is used to cold water, but I just wanted to mention that the water temps Florida Keys and Bahamas are still kind of chilly (75 - 78 F) in April (Easter/Spring Break) so if you can go further south into the Caribbean the water should be warmer.

Spring Break is the peak season which is why places are so expensive; but renting a condo or house will give you lots of space and the opportunities to prepare some simple meals and save some money.

DiveTech at Lighthouse Point on Grand Cayman offers special programs geared toward kids and families, see below:
https://www.divetech.com/kids

Many tropical lodgings are already booked-up for Spring Break, so don't wait much longer to secure a place.

Trying to do almost the same right now with the exception being the airline does not matter. Our 10 year old just got certified but we also have a 6 year old. My wife and I will likely take turns diving with our 10 year old while one stays behind with the younger one. Following to see the suggestions. Right now I am leaning towards Bonaire.

One thing I learned today was we would need to hire a private dive master for the boat dives. Grand Cayman was the exception for the most part as you are on your own in the water. I was told any operation that had a dive master leading the dive will require a private dive master for the kid due to the restriction on depths and not being able to monitor both groups.

One thing I learned today was we would need to hire a private dive master for the boat dives.
Where was this? I would like to avoid them. I am capable of monitoring depth without a private guide.

Right now I am leaning towards Bonaire.
This is my preference but the Delta cartel kills it for me out of ATL. I'd be in for over 4 grand just to get there on any carrier out of ATL. The diving is cheaper there but after I add it up I cant justify 4 grand for flights. For that price I would head to Asia, but Spring break does not leave enough time for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom