Shearwater - Single Yellow Transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He could, but he’s likely been using two grey since before Shearwater recognized the problem and paid for the different color shell from the same parent company that makes the Oceanic ones.

Yup - running either color as a single is fine . You just shouldn't run 2 transmitters of the same color together due to potential for interference.
Sorry, but this just isn't correct. I cave dive on a regular basis using two transmitters of the same color.

Sorry, but this just isn't correct. I cave dive on a regular basis using two transmitters of the same color.
Actually, it is correct - running two transmiters of the same color means they are on the same timing and could interfere with each other (it's why Shearwater had a recall on the intital batches of yellow transmitters - see link below). Per Shearwater:

"We discovered yellow transmitters may have the same transmission interval as the one found in grey transmitters. When transmitters of both colors are used by the same diver in the same dive, signal interference could be produced between transmitters causing dropped signals and loss of communications. Although the chance of this occurring is small, the potential is there."

February 25 2019 - Voluntary Recall Notice - Yellow Transmitters - Shearwater Research

It may never happen to you, but I would not want to use a setup that has the potential to lose/drop AI communication while diving, especially while diving in a cave. Of course, it's your choice to dive how you see fit.

Actually, it is correct - running two transmiters of the same color means they are on the same timing and could interfere with each other (it's why Shearwater had a recall on the intital batches of yellow transmitters - see link below). Per Shearwater:

"We discovered yellow transmitters may have the same transmission interval as the one found in grey transmitters. When transmitters of both colors are used by the same diver in the same dive, signal interference could be produced between transmitters causing dropped signals and loss of communications. Although the chance of this occurring is small, the potential is there."

February 25 2019 - Voluntary Recall Notice - Yellow Transmitters - Shearwater Research

It may never happen to you, but I would not want to use a setup that has the potential to lose/drop AI communication while diving, especially while diving in a cave. Of course, it's your choice to dive how you see fit.

Do you actually dive these transmitters or are you regurgitating what you've read? Albeit, it is from the manufacturer, but actual experience would be best, yes?

Whatever the case, let's use some common sense and math here. Lets assume the grey transmitters are on a 5.0s transmit interval and the yellow are on a 5.2s transmit interval as stated by Shearwater. Based on when you turn them on together, you can and probably will see a conflict because they will catch up to each other eventually. Every 130 minutes if my math is correct and that's the LONGEST amount of time it will take if they are turned on at the exact same time. I saw this several times using a grey and yellow transmitter.

Now using two of the same interval, unless you turn them both on AT THE EXACT SAME TIME, they will never catch each other. I have never seen a comms issue using two grey transmitters.

Just my .02 and real life experience.

P.S. The recall was due to them being on an interval that allowed them to catch each other every 35 minutes. It was also understood and advertised as being on a whole different frequency instead of a different interval.

Do you actually dive these transmitters or are you regurgitating what you've read? Albeit, it is from the manufacturer, but actual experience would be best, yes?

Whatever the case, let's use some common sense and math here. Lets assume the grey transmitters are on a 5.0s transmit interval and the yellow are on a 5.2s transmit interval as stated by Shearwater. Based on when you turn them on together, you can and probably will see a conflict because they will catch up to each other eventually. Every 130 minutes if my math is correct and that's the LONGEST amount of time it will take if they are turned on at the exact same time. I saw this several times using a grey and yellow transmitter.

Now using two of the same interval, unless you turn them both on AT THE EXACT SAME TIME, they will never catch each other. I have never seen a comms issue using two grey transmitters.

Just my .02 and real life experience.

P.S. The recall was due to them being on an interval that allowed them to catch each other every 35 minutes. It was also understood and advertised as being on a whole different frequency instead of a different interval.
Yes - I dived with an original yellow transmiitter and a grey one for several months before they recalled and sent me new one (~ 30 or so dives) and never had an issue beyond an occasional momentary drop - but thanks for the snark and assuming I had not! I have both on the same 1st stage - so the likelihood of them turining on at the same time is pretty high. I believe the potential issue was them chra

However, I trust the manufacturer's guidance so was just presenting that here - personal experience is good until it isn't. Good for you if you choose to ignore the maufacturer's reco based on your own analysis - that's your call.

I also have never seen anything from Shearwater on frequency - they just alluded to timings/intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom