Thoughts after my first time with Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was the DM engaging in that screwy practice of sharing his air/octo with the biggest air hog in the group to extend everyone's bottom time? .

The kid's dad shared air with him but it didn't prolong the dive much.

I don't know why some of you are worried about the shared air concept IF the diver still has at least the 500 thru 700 PSI agreed upon as the low air mark signaling time to surface. We're all supposed to be able to survive having our reg suddenly pulled from our mouth which might happen if there was another diver in trouble. The diver that was sharing can then go back to using the air in their tank, the DM shares with whoever is having a problem (if they simply need air which may not be the case) & who ever is still in the group all prepare to surface (because they should if there was an emergency).

There's sometimes a real world difference between what one is supposed to be able to handle and what one can actually handle. I guess you're talking about the DM yanking away the octo he was sharing to bolt towards a diver having a true emergency. Chances are, the Low on Air diver the DM was sharing with is new or inexperienced which is likely why they were low on air so fast. What if he has a grip on the octo that he is sharing and is able to keep or delay the DM from taking it back?

The thinking is that the DM sharing air as a convenience could delay or prevent him from dealing with a true emergency or to observe the group as well as he otherwise could have.

The whole idea of planned air share is to do it long before its needed and at a time during the dive when it’s easiest - you’ll see some DM’s with 5 or 7’ hose and they talk about it before they get in the water.

Other situations are just normal oh **** moments......

The whole idea of planned air share is to do it long before its needed and at a time during the dive when it’s easiest - you’ll see some DM’s with 5 or 7’ hose and they talk about it before they get in the water.

Other situations are just normal oh **** moments......

That changes the equation. If they start sharing earlier when the air hog has 1500 and it has been discussed, I see no big issues. I was talking about the case that I often see where a diver is down to 1000 or less when everyone else is about 1800, the DM didn't realize he had such an air hog in the group and realizes the others will be very disappointed, so impromptu shares air with him.

That changes the equation. If they start sharing earlier when the air hog has 1500 and it has been discussed, I see no big issues. I was talking about the case that I often see where a diver is down to 1000 or less when everyone else is about 1800, the DM didn't realize he had such an air hog in the group and realizes the others will be very disappointed, so impromptu shares air with him.

Totally understandable, a new to a DM customer, you have no idea who is what.

I was taught to ask air left at some set point in the dive, that’ll vary with who the divers are and tank size - early enough so you might see an air hog early so you have a better control of the sharing situation.

Also, diving with same folks over and over again, I’ve seen many dives with no air check or the known low person is checked. It’s a know who you’re with thing - unknowns need known early for everyone’s benefit. Anytime you take a regulator out of someone’s mouth, you really need to be at heightened awareness.

DIDN'T MEET EXPECTATIONS

- Flexibility. Despite all the claims on the website, we went just slightly beyond the standard sites. I've been to all the sites on previous trips except Islote.

Did you ask to go to specific sites? They will usually take you where you want to go if the divers you are with are up for it and can handle the site. But dang, diving with dolphins up close is a once in a lifetime experience, if you're lucky. I had to go all the way to Socorro to do that. :wink:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just old school but the concept of sharing air with anyone who is not experiencing an emergency is beyond me. If someone is an air hog, that is not the DM's problem or the dive group's problem. That individual and their buddy need to surface when the time comes and get back on the boat. For a DM to put a bandage on that situation by sharing air is not going to help that diver become a better diver. That diver needs advice/instruction so he/she understands they don't need to breathe as much as they think they do and are accustomed to on the surface. Air on the surface is free but gas in tanks and bottom time costs $. When a dive op and its DM's venture into that sharing air realm because their op requires everyone to surface at the same time? Well that is the first domino to fall. We have a DM that is expending air for a diver who should have surfaced with their buddy and let the group continue their dive but that DM is going to use his air to extend the groups dive time because, of course, they all must surface together in perhaps the most heavily dived stretch of water in the world where one can't throw a rock without hitting a dive boat. The only thing that keeps a diver and the dive group alive is the gas in their tanks. For a DM to share and burn up his gas on an Air Hog is just wrong on so many levels. What if a diver in the group were to get entangled in something? A random fishing net or anything that could show up? There are only so many tanks on the boat and usually there are just enough for the dive group plus maybe a tank or 2 left by the 2nd dive. Now we have a situation that requires all divers in the group to assist but most will freak out and surface and we are left with a DM who is running low because he nursed an air hog and has to deal a situation with a tank that is 500? 750? PSI lower than it would have been had he not nursed the hog. Nah, I won't dive with an op that plays the gas sharing game.

The last time I dove with Aldora we did Maracaibo For dive 1, and Palancar Caves for the second dive. At Maracaibo we were the only boat down there that morning. Very few boats on Palancar for dive 2.

the idea that “they all must surface together in perhaps the most heavily dived stretch of water in the world where one can't throw a rock without hitting adive boat.” Doesn’t apply to my experience with Aldora. One of the reasons I like diving with them is to get away from all the boats, and not dive in the most heavily dived stretch of water in the world.

I don't know why some of you are worried about the shared air concept IF the diver still has at least the 500 thru 700 PSI agreed upon as the low air mark signaling time to surface. We're all supposed to be able to survive having our reg suddenly pulled from our mouth which might happen if there was another diver in trouble. The diver that was sharing can then go back to using the air in their tank, the DM shares with whoever is having a problem (if they simply need air which may not be the case) & who ever is still in the group all prepare to surface (because they should if there was an emergency).

Aldora DM only shares air when the lowest diver is at 1000 psi and it stays that way till they break off, which is usually when another runs down to 1000.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom