How to secure fins on BC after dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to try clipping them to my butt ring. Of course the down side is you can’t see them.

Normally, I use the wrist method, but have discovered that doesn’t work real well for shore diving sidemount when you are holding your tanks with your hands and you get hit by surf. I have also found that the shoulder dring method can interfere with going up and down ladders.

I don't think he meant to hold them in your hands, just to push the straps up onto your wrists so they're dangling from each of your lower forearms, and your hands can still grab a ladder.
That’s the idea, but not one in each hand. Both on one hand. One each hand can make a ladder difficult. I’ve never had a problem with a ladder with both on one wrist, and some of the ladders we climb are more than a little crazy: think recessed a few inches into a seawall with a 6 inch overhang we have to get over, then a horizontal pipe railing. Even with the fns on one wrist, no problem.

I stick a double-ender through each fin, and clip them to my left chest D-ring:
IMG_20200115_172525.jpg

The plastic thumb doodlebop on my old fins was too big, so I tied on a piece of cave line, and clipped the double-ender to that:
IMG_20200115_172556.jpg

I just leave the double-enders on my d-ring throughout the dive. It doesn't bother me having them there, and sometimes it comes in handy (like when I find a beer can or some other clip-able garbage). I suppose if you had more stuff hanging off the left d-ring it could get messy, so you could stash the double-enders in a pocket or perhaps the rear crotch strap d-ring.

I have never heard of the (apparently commonplace) SPG hose trick. I just tried it out in my apartment, had a bit of trouble jamming both the SPG itself and its boltsnap through the strap at the same time. Once I had them on there though, it was very convenient -- would be much easier w/ a smaller boltsnap.

Also tried using double-enders to attach fins to my rear crotch strap d-ring. It worked fine, but was not quite as convenient as on the chest. My left chest d-ring has no other purpose in life though... if there was some competition for real estate, I could see this as a good alternative.

Thanks for all the pointers in this thread!

Back
Top Bottom