Macro Photography in the Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could anyone recommend a good macro diving destination in the Philippines? Im going to get away in October and it is really cheap to fly to the Philippines from Chicago. Ive been to Indonesia a few times and fell in love with macro and wish to do more at the end of the year and would love your suggestions.
So far I think Anilao is the only reachable place in the Phils that can compare to the Indo macro meccas (ie. Lembeh, Ambon, Alor, Tulamben,...), except maybe for Romblon which is quite a pain to go though.
October can be catchy...

If you are really serious with your photography and macro I'd suggest you book a private freelance guide like one brother or the Corpuz family (I like diving with Dennis check out his site Scuba Dive in Anilao - Underwater Macro Photography, Anilao Muck dive. ) he can arrange the accomodations from budget (Aquaventure) to higher end (Acacia resort that I recommend, Aiyanar).

Be aware that depending on where you are located in Anilao the operations will propose diving some sites and others not, so it's better in fact you select a resort located in the midst of the peninsula so you can dive any site.
For instance some people recommand Buceo but I'm afraid you really have to insist to dive Anilao Pier on a night dive, although it's probably the best night dive macro site in the world!
Others may recommend ASDC but I am not sure you would often go to Secret Garden/Secret bay which are some of the best sites at day time.
The resorts I named above have access to all the sites in Anilao. You can check out the Anilao album in my photo gallery (click on my signature).

Generally many of the spots in the Philippines have decent macro, but they will be a step below Anilao. Otherwise Dauin would be an option, but although it offers masses of critters (after one dive at Carwreck you're tired of GPF and small frogfishes), it's not the rarest ones like in Anilao.

Dumaguete, in my opinion. But, you can't go completely wrong. I have shot good macro in Malapascua, Moalboal, Southern Leyte and I have seen great shots from Romblon.

what was better foer macro muck romblon or dumagtue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom