Harrowing Tales from the Red Sea Aggressor I Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, pretty disturbing!
If half of the story is true, it's pretty damning against Aggressor.
No crew on watch, no working fire alarms, no leadership, crew member sleeping on top of the escape hatch.
Sounds like business as usual, despite the Conception fire.
Unfortunately, I think Aggressor and many other liveaboards will not spend the money on safety until they start to lose business.
This fire is certainly bad PR and sounds like it was mishandled.

Very interesting article; thank you for posting! I'd heard about this fire, but hadn't read much (frank admission: it didn't have the number of casualties the Conception did). Your detailed report hearkens back to issues from the Conception disaster. A few thoughts:

"The Aggressor Fleet issued a statement about the fire, which did little to get within the good graces of the survivors, by failing to take any responsibility or show remorse."

In today's litigious society, nobody is going to make a public proclamation taking any responsibility after a high profile disaster where damages might be enormous.

I see these 2 statements:

"After everyone was accounted for at the muster station and the order to evacuate was given, one guest apparently decided to return to their room during the evacuation to retrieve something and is missing. All other guests are safe."

"Sue was a roommate of the woman, Trish Kessler, 54, a mother of two, who died, and she was disgusted at how the company attempted to malign her and take the spotlight off their responsibility by claiming she had returned to her cabin for her laptop."

So, is Sue disputing that Kessler returned to her cabin for her laptop? Whatever else went on, I think safety people would say that was a no-no. Granted, I might've done the same thing, but the fact remains. Later in your report:

"There was no accounting for passengers at any muster station on the craft, and the passengers believe that Trish Keppler was unable to escape the lower deck through the emergency hatch, despite the crew claiming that she had been at the nonexistent muster station but returned below decks."

That seems to imply she couldn't escape to begin with rather than got out and went back. With all the chaos people went through, what's the truth? Who to believe? Either way it's a tragedy, back after all the discussions about the Conception's hatch being viewed as inadequate, this is a big deal.

"When they opened their cabin door, they smelled acrid smoke. Within 30 seconds, they were out of the cabin and tried the normal stairway exit route but were forced back by the heat and smoke from the fire.

They both retreated to the emergency escape hatch toward the forward part of the boat, where they climbed through to the crew quarters after waking the man who was sleeping on top of it. The smoke and fire were quickly spreading. Had they waited another 30 seconds, they would not have made it. The smell of burning PVC-covered cable revealed chlorine gas, which would have impeded their escape. Within 15 minutes, the boat was on fire from stern to bow, and they had to jump for their lives."

This speaks to concerns from the Conception disaster discussions. The primary escape route failed; they had to go to the fallback, a hatch. I wonder what diameter hatch, and whether big obese people couldn't fit through? It was a time-sensitive escape; wonder how many people couldn't got out via the hatch in what time frame? The time frame for the boat to be aflame end-to-end is very interesting!

I was following the news closely as I was set to board RSA1 7 weeks after the accident. They replaced MY Suzanna with Scuba Scene. So when I boarded Scuba Scene, I checked all of the corrective actions were done on the replacement boat.

62931CFD-16FE-4FDF-A4CA-413E145D7BA9.jpeg

After safety briefing, we tour the escape route on main deck, a big door leading to kitchen.

64BF7941-9D79-4F0D-AD69-0EE4FBD3A295.jpeg

and lower deck, another big door through crew cabin & upstairs to the front of the boat main deck.

9A29064C-F946-45D3-A5AB-0AB3823E1E2E.jpeg

31A74EBC-7934-4D4A-8EAC-80656098E426.jpeg

2209F584-1EDC-4616-8FAE-1EB22A1CB00D.jpeg

Locate all of the fire extinguishers near & in my cabin.

F0F67661-25F0-430A-9646-2E3F1FDDE1CC.jpeg

BEA9108D-09FC-42CA-8922-22180115F128.jpeg

and the life jacket in my cabin.

79820F14-F0D0-4467-8450-E613A1FCD65E.jpeg

I hope to never have to put this into practice but I keep a change of clothes, my wallet, phone, travel docs in a dry bag with a divelight attached to the handle in my bunk. That is my ditch kit if we have to abandon ship that's going with if at all possible.

I was dismayed to see that Undercurrent praised the "presence of mind" of a passenger who took their passport. Unless, as above, you have a designated bag that you can grab literally in your sleep, it is foolish to take even one second to secure personal belongings. Get low, and get out!

I was dismayed to see that Undercurrent praised the "presence of mind" of a passenger who took their passport. Unless, as above, you have a designated bag that you can grab literally in your sleep, it is foolish to take even one second to secure personal belongings. Get low, and get out!
The article does not mention what she did to get her passport, just that she grabbed it. She very well may have had it in a go bag.

Back
Top Bottom