24 hours in Singapore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Arrive 6 am from long SFO flight, fly out the next day at 9 am to Manado. Staying at the Changi Crowne Plaza

Idea is to try to immediately acclimatize to the local time zone and try not to pass out in one of the airpot nap areas.... Assuming we can stand upright, what to do in town?

Done the research and generally would like to hit one or all of the following, but thought I'd drop a note here to see if anyone has anything they've really liked. Plan is to use MRT and taxis as necessary

-Gardens by the Bay and light show
-Marina Sands
-Kampong Glam
-Little India
-Chinatown
-A hawker center, but particularly Satay Street and Lau Pa Sat

Anything we might be missing? Not really interested in Orchard Road, the zoo, Sentosa...

I know about Jewel, but not a big shopper and we have a 6 hour layover on the return to hit any airport stuff

Thanks in advance

Gardens by the Bay you have on your list. Do not, under any circumstances, miss this show. There is also an indoor orchid botanical garden there which is beautiful and a nice place to cool off.
Orchid Garden at Singapore Botanic Garden. World class, gorgeous place to spend a couple of hours. We went because my wife wanted to see it. I was ambivalent at first, but found it to be truly beautiful and memorable. A highlight of our several stopovers in Singapore.
Little India and Chinatown are pretty much like those venues in other international cities. We were disappointed in both at Singapore.
Raffles Long Bar for a Singapore Sling or other beverage. Interesting place, but we opted for a really good beer instead of the touristy Singapore Sling.
Helix bridge near Gardens by the Bay
Merlion statue
Marina Bay Sands. When last there, we had lunch & beer at the observation restaurant/bar, and the elevator ride was either free or deeply discounted if dining. Prices were not cheap, but eliminating the cost of the elevator helped a lot.

You are going to be a zombie, don't try to do too much since you'll barely remember it anyway. I'd start by taking a Grab (the local version of Uber) or taxi to the Telok Ayer hawker center, it's a neat place and an easy introduction to the type. It's about 20 minutes by car, but an hour by train since you are past the end of the line and will have to switch lines. Then walk along the waterfront to Marina Sands and then to Gardens by the Bay. If you have any energy left keep walking once you cross Helix Bridge towards the Bugis MRT station. If you want an a/c break and a bit of history, there are a few small and free museums (exhibitions really) worth a quick stop more or less on the way. Or you can walk through the malls instead of the streets and get an iced drink and a snack.

Telok Ayer Market - https://maps.app.goo.gl/vRXVXdTeZTjtTNVP8

Helix Bridge - https://maps.app.goo.gl/sSF2Pu6EikTh2yPv6

National Library (exhibition on level 10) -
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rnume2z17izCRqQVA

National Design Centre - https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZcvfgaJ7KKTdwuqE8

Objectifs - Centre for Photography & Film - https://maps.app.goo.gl/AWNoLkrnWgxxX9yR8

If you have time the next morning after you get through airport security (and you will, they are amazingly efficient), make sure you check out the terminal garden. For example, Terminal 3 has a butterfly garden.

Depends on your energy level and how well you do with humidity + high heat. The raining season is over so the temp has been creeping up.

Singapore is not an early-riser city on weekend. So depending on which day you arrive in Singapore, most of the attraction that you have mentioned will probably be closed in the early mornings.

MBS/Garden by the Bay - They are next to each other. There is light show at Gardens by the Bay and there is a light show also at MBS in front of the Fullerton Bay. The MBS light show does not start until 20:00 (given that sun does not set until after 19:00) and it will be displayed every hour on the hour from 20:00 to 22:00 (weekend might have a 23:00 show). I believe there are two shows for Garden by the Bay at night as well.

Helix Bridge is right next to MBS and Merlion is just across the bay. You can cross the Helix Bridge then turn left and walk past by the float platform and Espalande Theater (the giant durian looking building). You will hit the another pedestrian bridge. It will lead you directly to Merlion and you can also catch the MBS light show from the opposite vantage point. From there, cross over the road or under the bridge, you can reach the Boat Quay area. There are tons of bars/restaurants on the left bank (when facing North) and there are Asian Civilization Museum, The Art House, Old Court House, the old parliament building now turned into National Gallery Museum, and Victoria Concert Hall on the right bank. North of Boat Quay is Clarke Quay and it is a massive hot spot for night life for both tourists and locals alike.

Swing out to the right bank, from the museum area, you can also walk up to National Museum, Peranakan Museum, Philatelic Museum, Chjimes, and the Armenia Church.

Lau Pasat is actually on the other side of the Fullerton Bay and diagonally across the bay when facing north. Satay Street is right behind Lau Pasat and it does not open until 19:00. It caters mainly to tourists and if I recall correctly, stall 7 is the good and it is the only one that serves duck satay.

Little India has couple of temples that I would recommend you check it out during the day They are on Serangoon Road and Buffalo Road.

Chinatown has a Buddhist temple and an Hindu temple that is worth a visit. I would stay away from Chinatown for now given that Chinese New Year is next Saturday and it is a mad house over there from now until next weekend.

Kampong Glam is also know as the Little Arab. There is a Malay Heritage Center and Singapore's large Mosque is also there. Lots of shops for souvenir and curiosities as well as lots of bars and restaurants.

From Chinatown, you can also check out Club Street and Ann Siang Hill. Ang Siang Hill has a stepped path that can drop you down to Telok Ayer area. There is a Chinese temple on Amoy Street you can check it out as well.

There is also a Botanic Garden on Bukit Timah. It was awarded the UNESCO Heritage Site few years back.

These locations are all reachable with MRT, bus, and walking.

I'd recommend check out Little India, Kampong Glam, Chinatown, and Museums in the morning and wrap up your evening at the MBS and Garden by the Bay area.

Gardens by the Bay you have on your list. Do not, under any circumstances, miss this show. There is also an indoor orchid botanical garden there which is beautiful and a nice place to cool off.
Orchid Garden at Singapore Botanic Garden. World class, gorgeous place to spend a couple of hours. We went because my wife wanted to see it. I was ambivalent at first, but found it to be truly beautiful and memorable. A highlight of our several stopovers in Singapore.
Little India and Chinatown are pretty much like those venues in other international cities. We were disappointed in both at Singapore.
Raffles Long Bar for a Singapore Sling or other beverage. Interesting place, but we opted for a really good beer instead of the touristy Singapore Sling.
Helix bridge near Gardens by the Bay
Merlion statue
Marina Bay Sands. When last there, we had lunch & beer at the observation restaurant/bar, and the elevator ride was either free or deeply discounted if dining. Prices were not cheap, but eliminating the cost of the elevator helped a lot.

Sorry for the interruption, but where have you enjoyed Chinatown and Little India more.please?

I wasn't that impressed by Chinatown either. Maybe depends on how many temples you've seen previously.

The exhibition places I mentioned will be open by the time they get over there if they go in the order I suggested. Objectifs opens at noon on weekends, the others at 9 or 10. I'm only suggesting places like these because they are bite sized, 15-30 minute stops. I think they will be too exhausted to absorb one of the full-scale museums.

But do start at Telok Ayer market (aka Lau Pa Sat). It's open 24/7 and has both good food and an interesting structure. And then head around the waterfront towards Marina Sands and Garden by the Bay. How far you get after you finish there and cross Helix Bridge will depend on how much the heat and jet lag catch up to you. I doubt you'll make it to dark unless you start with a long nap at your hotel. Do keep in mind that you can go through buildings if the heat gets too much. Most of the skyscrapers around there have retail and a food court on the bottom floors and a lot of the building are connected together.

Chili crab!

My wife and I have gladly connected through Singapore several times, just to be able to do the "24 hours in Singapore" thing. We go a little crazy on the food, though--grazing throughout the day. Yeah, you will feel like a zombie, as someone mentioned above. Of the sights, we liked the Orchid Garden best.

Just like all of Singapore, Chinatown has been updated and isn't much like I first found it 20+ years ago.

Sorry for the interruption, but where have you enjoyed Chinatown and Little India more.please?
I also shared similar feelings, at least regarding Chinatown. Yokohama is the best Chinatown I’ve experienced...combines Japanese hospitality and cleanliness with chinese cooking and culture!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom