New to the Board and Taal Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loca60

New
Reaction score
We are scheduled to go to Anilao on January 24 so my friends can get PADI certified. Airline tickets, accommodations, instruction all paid for and not sure will be refundable. Given the state of Taal and the current alert level of 4, any recommendations on whether to proceed or not. Resort says it is clear and only ash falls on the day of eruption but who knows?

We are scheduled to go to Anilao on January 24 so my friends can get PADI certified. Airline tickets, accommodations, instruction all paid for and not sure will be refundable. Given the state of Taal and the current alert level of 4, any recommendations on whether to proceed or not. Resort says it is clear and only ash falls on the day of eruption but who knows?
I don't think anyone can give you an answer as volcanoes are too difficult to predict. It is still at alert level 4 (eruption possible in days to weeks). Surface activity has decreased, but seismic and sub surface activity is still occurring. Its a toss of the coin and what your comfort level is with dealing with things such as possible evac, ashfall, respiratory issues, air travel being shutdown for days to weeks.

It's probably an expensive trip so was trip insurance purchased or not?
It's tough call as predicting these things are not exact science.
Near worse case scenario would be major eruption and getting stuck on the island for extended time even though its close to Manila.

Image 1-18-20 at 7.17 PM.jpeg

If air routes are closed due to ash, is there sea routes to nearby islands with international flights? I don't know.

Cebu possibly

A boat trip from Anilao to Cebu is a bit of an undertaking, I think the route would be bus and ferry combos taking you from Anilao to Batangas by road, ferry Batangas to PG, by road PG to Bulalacao, a ferry from there to caticlan, by road to IloIlo, ferry across to Bacolod, across the coast for ferry options to either south Cebu or the City

Your chance of being injured by the volcano is low. I would max out on insurance so that you have the funds to weather being stuck there. Being able to leave Luzon is probably your worst case issue to deal with.

Cash is king there. You can do just about anything if you can pay for it. If your insurance will get you out of there should something happen, you are probably golden.

If it was me I would go, but I have some knowledge of traveling there. If you are more of a novice in traveling the Philippines you might feel more comfortable hiring a guide. But that's generally not necessary. All the taxis can get you around, sometimes at a more premium price.

Private vans are a good choice for a group. Buses are great for covering distance in the more common routes. Knowing where and when to catch ferries is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom