What Torch to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a few lights, these are the two have lasted with no issues:

Volador - Cheap generic tailcap button dive light, as been with me on virtually every ocean dive as an emergency signalling device.

XTar D26 1100 lumens model - Great light with a side switch that naturally lays under you thumb and locks. It has multiple modes but is easy to work with.

I recently picked up two CX1s, but they have a specific purpose.

I recently bought the volador light (same as DGX 600 push) and its great for the price and pretty close to my CX1. Have you compared the light output of the d26 1100 to the volador and cx1? Is it the same or brighter?

Don't buy under 1000 lumen output if you want to look into dark spaces on daytime dives. The difference of how bright a light looks in a room vs underwater is staggering.

Edit: for around that output in a very compact package with all the basics covered (push button, battery indicator light, multiple light outputs, 18650, overpressure valve) there is the Sealife Sea Dragon Mini 900. It's been working well. A larger, more powerful option the 1300S.

I recently bought the volador light (same as DGX 600 push) and its great for the price and pretty close to my CX1. Have you compared the light output of the d26 1100 to the volador and cx1? Is it the same or brighter?

Outside of on land, no.

On land the Volador and the CX1 are almost exactly the same in brightness, though I am sure that the CX1 will last longer due to the larger battery. The D26 is slightly brighter on turbo.

My CX1s are my back up cave lights, I found with my sidemount rig that it would turn on my D26s despite being locked. That isn't the case with the protected tail caps of the CX1.

I have the push button CX1, used it for day time dives looking at things under overhangs and swimthroughs. Got it to use as a backup in case I ever do more night or (any) cave dives due to it's bigger battery (nice for emergencies as well). Only thing to be aware of for it is to make sure to get the salt out of the spring area (as that's not o-ring protected it seems).

If you don't want to deal with lithium ion batteries, I'm a fan of the UK SL4 lights. They take 4 C-cell batteries and have a tight throw pattern. The newest variant is the MK 2 which is not cheap, but the prior L1 variant has been discounted to the $70-$90 range for a long time now.

I've owned a dozen or more of that SL4/SL6 series over the years and have rarely seen a problem with flooding or switches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom