New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virginia class fast attack submarines are named for states.
I know, sad.
My first submarine was the USS Grayling (SSN 646). The previous USS Grayling (SS 209) was lost during WWII, rammed by a Japanese ship.

It is not uncommon to honor previously lost ships in this way. No disrespect is intended, it is meant to honor the memory of the ship.
the Grayling wasn’t turned into a memorial.

If that were the thinking then the should be boomers not fast attacks.

That’s why the USS Ohio was commissioned in 1981. And the Ohio class followed.

The naming of cruisers was changed so that fast attacks of that era would be named after cities.

Now it’s being changed again, the number of ships in the Navy now is lower than when Pearl Harbor was attacked, and a third of those in commission in 1946, it is hard to recycle names according to an unchanging rule.

Bob

the Grayling wasn’t turned into a memorial.

Grayling's sail is now a memorial on the grounds of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard at Kittery, Maine, and her anchor and chain are on display as a memorial at The American Legion Post 106 in downtown Grayling, Michigan.

Bob

Or so say the bubble heads.

Actually, my rating was in aviation ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare). Another old joke:
  • Question: What is the difference between a whale and a submarine?
  • A sonarman replies: I don't know, what?
  • Punchline: Interesting, none of you ASW guys can tell the difference.

Actually, my rating was in aviation ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare). Another old joke:
  • Question: What is the difference between a whale and a submarine?
  • A sonarman replies: I don't know, what?
  • Punchline: Interesting, none of you ASW guys can tell the difference.
Good one

Just out of superstition, I wouldn't name a ship after another ship that ended badly. There can be a jinx in the name.

May as well go back to the “S” number system. Next you’ll tell me they are going to name space ships after aircraft carriers!

The letter system was used after the earlier boats were named, the named boats were then designated with class letter and number. Submarines were the Rodney Dangerfield of the fleet and didn’t get any respect. That changed.

They have already used the Enterprise.

Bob

Just out of superstition, I wouldn't name a ship after another ship that ended badly. There can be a jinx in the name.

There will never be another Thresher or Scorpion, if that eases your mind.

The first Yorktown (CV-5) was named after the battle of Yorktown. My dad flew off of that until it was sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Since it was sank while he was in the air, he landed on the Enterprise. The Yorktown (CV-10) was named after the CV-5. It was the fourth naval ship to be named the Yorktown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom