Southwest To Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWA finally published fares from/to Lubbock, American is cheaper even with bag fees. I’m staying with the devil I know.
Lately we have been flying with United since they bought out Continental. It's not been too bad, but I miss the amiable folks at Continental. SWA came in a couple hundred bucks under United for the two of us for our dates, so I thought I'd try them and see how it goes.

Oh gawd I loss Continental. American and United both irritate me, but Americans had better fares and times for me.

When the MAX flys again it will be one of the safest planes out there lol. I wouldnt hesitate to fly on it...........they will check everything 1000x and then another 1000x before it flys again.

Sounds like what Boeing said when it first came out...trust us, we’ve tested it!

They shouldn’t have put that engine on that plane in that wing position, while pretending it wasn’t a major change that necessitated retraining. No amount of software will change that mechanical configuration, it’ll just keep trying to compensate for it. I’ll fly on it if the pilots are US, from a decent airline, because it’ll be cheap, and our pilots will hopefully have gotten some simulator time. But then, I do trust me dives also.

SWA finally published fares from/to Lubbock, American is cheaper even with bag fees. I’m staying with the devil I know.

Is that because American reduced it's fares from last year or because SWA came in with higher pricing?

Is that because American reduced it's fares from last year or because SWA came in with higher pricing?
Both. I guess that American is reacting to the SWA effect as my fare for my dates are 34% less than last year at the same time: $424 vs $642. I did pay about $25 more to avoid the pitfalls of Basic Economy. Of course, fares vary day to day for a variety of reasons. I could get my departure dates for $367 today, but that would be with an overnight in DFW on return which I won't do without a much bigger reason. SWA is not booking for late August yet, but a booking for similar July dates for eight nights is $577.

The $153 difference will more than pay for my bag fees, with assigned seats and better times. I hate American getting me there at 3pm, but SWA wouldn't get me there until 8pm, and their return is at 9am - too early for me to enjoy. If I was very flexible on dates and willing to change planes in Dallas & Houston both going, SWA would do 9 nights there in July for $485 - but I am not & not.

Results will vary greatly, of course.

We are booked to fly into CZM in April. So far they have changed our flights four of five times. They still don't have any return flights so we booked one from CUN just in case they forget that we might want to come home. We have lots of SouthWest points which is the main reason we get to go on as many trips as we do, but it may be time to start looking at other options.

My southwest-fu is strong.... Not quite as cheap at United with no overhead space.... (who does that?) 366 SW, 432 AA with no bags?

upload_2020-1-25_15-4-17.png

upload_2020-1-25_15-3-12.png

United with no overhead space.... (who does that?)
That's basic Economy; be in that seat or else. We did that to Tuscon over Labor Day weekend to see the cactuses, but I'll usually pay $25 more to get seat assignments and some other benefits.

I don't mind catching sunrise flights to arrive at 1 pm. I do not want to arrive at Cozumel at 8 o'clock at night, then have to be at the Coz airport at sunrise on return for a 9 am plane.

Ill get you to 330 if you fly during the week?
In late August...??

That's basic Economy; be in that seat or else. We did that to Tuscon over Labor Day weekend to see the cactuses, but I'll usually pay $25 more to get seat assignments and some other benefits.

THAT is basic economy??? I consider it basic economy when I dont get the exit row on SW.

I don't mind catching sunrise flights to arrive at 1 pm. I do not want to arrive at Cozumel at 8 o'clock at night, then have to be at the Coz airport at sunrise on return for a 9 am plane.

Ok, you didn't say you were so picky. You said you wanted a deal. Arrive 8. Take a taxi to Ohana and eat. Then go the hotel and crash. Easy peasy. And 9 am is an issue? Go at 7 check the bags and go to breakfast. Be back before boarding....

In late August...??

And now picky on dates.... August??? That is a lifetime away in SW booking. I have booked flights a couple days out. That's how we Luvers roll. There isn't even a full August schedule out yet....

Dude, we aren't a old fashioned, elitist airline with an upcharge for everything. We got one seat, two carry ons, two checked bags and the nicest crews out there. There is no 1% sitting up front in barco loungers drinking... sitting high up in the Sierra mountains. And your drinkin' - uh, what's he drinkin'? Uh, Champaign Cocktails. Thanks Cicc.

We are all in it together. None of that trickery and none of that making planes 7 months out. You don't buy a bus ticket 7 months out...

However we will likely kill you if you try to get ahead of your boarding number. Though we are pretty relaxed in the sick, lame and lazy admits.

Back
Top Bottom