New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The CG also reuses at least some ship names. The example that readily comes to mind is the USCGC Mackinaw (WAGB-83), a heavy ice breaker on the Great Lakes (1945-2006) replaced by a new Mackinaw (WLBB-33) in 2006.

The CG also reuses at least some ship names. The example that readily comes to mind is the USCGC Mackinaw (WAGB-83), a heavy ice breaker on the Great Lakes (1945-2006) replaced by a new Mackinaw (WLBB-33) in 2006.

I was on the Coast Guard Cutter Tampa, the third cutter to bear the name. The first was sunk with all hands in WWI.

There’s nothing particularly unusual about naming ships after ships that were sunk. USS Lexington and Yorktown, both sunk in WWII, come to mind immediately.

Late addition: Didn’t see that the Chairman already mentioned Yorktown.

Just out of superstition, I wouldn't name a ship after another ship that ended badly. There can be a jinx in the name.

There is a large difference between a jinxed ship and one that is sunk in battle.

There will never be another Thresher or Scorpion, if that eases your mind.

Yeah, first because fish names for submarines is a thing of the past, and second they even changed the class from Thresher to Permit pretty quick.

It’s not about reusing names.

It’s a matter of honouring a ship and crew.

Bob

I think the Navy understands Naval Tradition and has a good grasp on proper and respectful naming of their ships.

Plus they definitely are not hung up on sentimentality. When a boat has gone beyond useful purposes it is sold off for scrap.

Just like the Oklahoma was....

BTW, I volunteer on the Arizona (Pearl Harbor National Memorial) every week.

I agree.

I was always a fan of fish names for real submarines. Boomers could be named after retirement centers as far as I'm concerned. I did serve on both kinds.

I agree with the fish names. I was on the Grayling and also the Guitarro for a short time, the fish names were much better IMO than the city names of the LA class. My last boat was the Asheville.

There is a large difference between a jinxed ship and one that is sunk in battle.

Worth noting that in 1744, the Royal Navy's first-rate HMS Victory (the third ship of that name) was lost in a storm with all hands after just four years of service. In 1759, a new first-rate (the equivalent of a 20th Century battleship or supercarrier) was laid down and there was a decided reluctance to name her after a ship that had suffered such an ill fate. In the end, of the six proposed names for such a major capital ship, only one wasn't already in use.

That arguably turned out quite well for the Royal Navy:

Also, since the old days of fish names were brought up:

Granted, the marine life-theme was a mixed bag. Seawolf (which was reused for SSN-21 in a brief return to tradition), Growler, Batfish, Shark, Razorback, Requin, Wahoo, Seadragon, Devilfish, Kraken, etc. all had a certain amount of panache and menace to them ... then you had ones like Trout, Salmon, Plunger, Seahorse, Blenny, Chub, Carp, and Sea Robin that were more the seagoing equivalent of the "Fluffy the Terrible" trope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom