The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been reading this thread with interest but can't quite sort through it all. I've been diving a standard BP/W for 16 or 17 years since taking GUE fundies and triox. But my diving today is limited to single tank, warm water travel diving and this plate looks like it might actually be an improvement over the standard for that. Anyway, I have a few questions:

First, for those who previously dove with a standard BP, what is it about the Freedom Plate that you find advantageous? Is it the closeness of the tank to the body? Greater comfort because of the curvature? Both? Anything else?

Second, I gather the rails/rods are necessary to move the bottom of the tank away from the body because of the curvature of the plate. Is that right? Seems as though they would make the tank position about as stable as with a STA?

Third, I gather weight of the standard steel plate is 4lb. What's the weight of the AL plate? How about the thinner steel plate? Or are those no longer available?

Thanks.

First, for those who previously dove with a standard BP, what is it about the Freedom Plate that you find advantageous? Is it the closeness of the tank to the body? Greater comfort because of the curvature? Both? Anything else?

Second, I gather the rails/rods are necessary to move the bottom of the tank away from the body because of the curvature of the plate. Is that right? Seems as though they would make the tank position about as stable as with a STA?

1. Webbing slides. I like that, I used a subgravity slider on regular plate for that. (I put triglides on shoulder straps as stoppers).

2. Yes, pretty much.

First, for those who previously dove with a standard BP, what is it about the Freedom Plate that you find advantageous?

It is contoured to your back in 3 dimensions and, as mentioned, the webbing can slide through the lower guides. This allows the shoulder to be loosened and tightened by adjusting the belly band. I find it much easier to don and doff. It also allows the cylinder to sit closer to the back than a standard doubles plate with STA.

Please add me to the waitlist.
@kjshank Place your request in this thread:

@kjshank Place your request in this thread:
Thanks @Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom