For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not due before a couple of runs I think but I wouldn’t mind switching from AL to the thin s/s especially if it makes your life easier not having to source and work on different metals

Hi Eric,

I don't know how you keep track of all us needy folk but I second axluba's statement. I am in line for an aluminum but wouldn't mind switching to the thin stainless steel for the same reasons.

Do you think the thin s/s is a better alternative to aluminum products?
I’m kind of taking a poll of sorts and asking for feedback from people who have used or seen the thin stainless version. I personally like it better than aluminum even though aluminum is a few oz’s lighter, I’m wondering if that really matters? (in the real world, not the virtual SB hair splitting world).

I have three of Eric’s plates (the wife is down to two after graciously selling her backup stainless recently to a SB member). I have a standard stainless Freedom with integrated rails #303 (vintage 2013), an aluminum Contour #450 and a lightweight stainless Contour #440 (14 gauge) with detachable rails, so I have some insight and history.

I have enjoyed over 500 dives throughout the Caribbean and Florida with the #303 workhorse. This is a beautiful plate that will be around long after I’m gone. Diving this plate with an AL80, pony and 3mm suit I am properly weighted. Great! However, when diving with steel 120’s, hunting gear and large pony and/or stage bottles I am the proverbial dirt dart. I also pack ALL of my gear in my carry-on (with the exception of pony and fins), so it’s heavy. This plate is now dedicated to cold water drysuit diving.

So for years I whined and pined for an aluminum Contour and received one Spring of 2019. I’ve used it in Bonaire, Little Cayman and Florida. The plate weighs next to nothing and is perfect for travel. It’s rigid and a pleasure to dive. Unfortunately aluminum is inherently susceptible to damage and discoloration. If you are utilitarian about dive gear this is a nonissue. However, like many others I consider Eric’s plates to be highly functional pieces of art, so the preservation of the plate is important to me.

Enter the lightweight stainless Contour plate. This is the perfect balance between the heavy stainless and soft aluminum. Considering the vast majority of my diving is in the warm waters of the Caribbean this configuration is ideal for me. Weighing less than 2.2 pounds (14 gauge material without rails) it’s light, rigid and robust. I will dive it for the first time in Cozumel in a few weeks and I know this plate will function at the highest level. Thanks @Eric Sedletzky

*POOF*

Eric, are you making the lightweight stainless Contour as part of any upcoming run cause that just sounds like butter for my toast.

Eric, are you making the lightweight stainless Contour as part of any upcoming run cause that just sounds like butter for my toast.
I’m still debating whether I should just do thin stainless instead of aluminum, and just say ‘no’ to aluminum. My plate is the only design that I’m aware of that can be made out of thin stainless because of the compound curves of the contoured shape. The edge roll is what really locks in the shape and makes the plate rigid. So because of this I can take advantage of the design and use thinner materials that other plates can’t use. In this case stainless is a far superior material than aluminum could ever dream of being.
What is stronger, an 1/8” of aluminum or a 1/16” of stainless. My bet is on the stainless.

I’m still debating whether I should just do thin stainless instead of aluminum, and just say ‘no’ to aluminum. My plate is the only design that I’m aware of that can be made out of thin stainless because of the compound curves of the contoured shape. The edge roll is what really locks in the shape and makes the plate rigid. So because of this I can take advantage of the design and use thinner materials that other plates can’t use. In this case stainless is a far superior material than aluminum could ever dream of being.
What is stronger, an 1/8” of aluminum or a 1/16” of stainless. My bet is on the stainless.
I’ll take one, if someone really wants an aluminum one I’ll have one available once I get the new thin model. 1 long thin SS please.

I’m still debating whether I should just do thin stainless instead of aluminum, and just say ‘no’ to aluminum.

Substitute s/s with aluminum and vice versa in the following question and I think you'll be closing in on an answer.
Do you think the thin s/s is a better alternative to aluminum products?

I cannot think of any advantage aluminum would have over stainless for a lightweight single tank backplate. Besides, your compressor/shop, your rules. I have no idea of the cost materials required to make a ss vs. al backplate, but I would imagine the extra labor required to produce one of these works of art would negate any cost of material advantage.

I've been following this thread, and I've seen plenty of request to cancel the al plate and replace with a stainless-but not one the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom