When to call a dive... a question of limits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called a dive out of sheer boredom in Oaxaca last summer. Vis was nil and the only way I could locate my buddy was the sound of his reg. It was a good learning experience for 15 minutes or so and then it just sucked.

It's funny how many in this thread claim bad vis as their reason for calling a dive.

While nobody should ever question your buddy's reason to call a dive (the thumb is a command, not a request, we'll discuss the issue when we have solid ground under our feet), it's interesting to me that while I've never called a dive due to vis, I've called dives due to surface conditions. Granted, I've never been in really crappy vis (my worst dive ever had some 1-2m vis), I've always found that that hasn't been a serious concern to me. Getting into and out of the water without being uncomfortably thrown around, on the other hand...

It's funny how many in this thread claim bad vis as their reason for calling a dive.

While nobody should ever question your buddy's reason to call a dive (the thumb is a command, not a request, we'll discuss the issue when we have solid ground under our feet), it's interesting to me that while I've never called a dive due to vis, I've called dives due to surface conditions. Granted, I've never been in really crappy vis (my worst dive ever had some 1-2m vis), I've always found that that hasn't been a serious concern to me. Getting into and out of the water without being uncomfortably thrown around, on the other hand...

i didn't mind the bad vis. It was just so damn boring cause there was nothing to touch or play around with. Also, the 12' surge in the middle of a boulder field was a little disconcerting.

Derepmet visibility: when you're only able to read "Tempered" backwards in your mask. Been there and called that. My first dive off Venice Beach, Fl was just such a dive. In fact, my buddy suggested that we use a Jon Line to tether us together. On my descent I ran into the bottom. Boink. I was so surprised I let go of the tether. I was only in 12 feet of water, so I surfaced, found his bubbles and tried to swim down to him. I tried to find him over and over for the next 90 minutes where he finally emerged. "Wow, you're a great buddy! I never felt you tug on the Jon Line even once!". Yeah, if only I had that Jon Line to pull! :D :D :D

Mostly weather, I call dives sitting in front of my desk top looking at the marine weather forecast. Bad vis is a regular dive partner here in RI, we celebrate 10' vis, 0-5' is the norm at some sites.

Derepmet visibility: when you're only able to read "Tempered" backwards in your mask. Been there and called that. My first dive off Venice Beach, Fl was just such a dive. In fact, my buddy suggested that we use a Jon Line to tether us together. On my descent I ran into the bottom. Boink. I was so surprised I let go of the tether. I was only in 12 feet of water, so I surfaced, found his bubbles and tried to swim down to him. I tried to find him over and over for the next 90 minutes where he finally emerged. "Wow, you're a great buddy! I never felt you tug on the Jon Line even once!". Yeah, if only I had that Jon Line to pull! :D :D :D
The only time I've used a buddy line was when the surface vis was estimated to be around 1m/3'. We were lucky, it cleared up below 5-8m depth, but damn, it was murky. Good thing I always bring a light.

The time before when we had that kind of vis, I lost sight of my buddy just as we got under water. I was pretty happy to find him again (good thing he, too, carried a light) - by sheer luck, there was more than a 50/50 chance we'd have to call the dive - and we continued our descent clasping each others' forearms.

Then there was that time I more or less did a whole dive holding my buddy's hand. Because if I let go, I'd lose him. There were other reasons for that dive than having fun and seeing things.

An easy, no pressure, procedure for thumbing a dive:

1 - Shake hand
2 - Point to ear
3 - Shrug (optional)

An easy, no pressure, procedure for thumbing a dive:

1 - Shake hand
2 - Point to ear
3 - Shrug (optional)
Given that your buddy doesn't respect that there's no required reason for giving your buddy the thumb.

A thumb is a thumb. The dive is over. When we have our feet on solid ground (or deck), we can discuss reasons. Never before.

Mine was last summer on Lake Michigan. Waves turned into 5 footers (a lot for the Great Lakes since waves distance is much shorter compared with the ocean) as we headed for the dive site. I was halfway into my drysuit, looked at the waves, and went “nope!”

The 5 others, all guys, did the first dive, but only 2 did the second dive and said they should have sat it out. We got tossed around a lot on the way back to the marina. Roughest ride I’ve ever had.

Back
Top Bottom