Boat coat in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
May be an odd question but I just got back from Cozumel and froze on the boat after diving.
I’ve been to Bali and Alor and Komodo and didn’t need a coverup on the boats (September).

I’ll be traveling to Lembeh, Bangka (and a LOB in Raja) in a few weeks.
Will I need a boat coat or surf poncho between dives or during the transfer? I’ve never had one but am thinking about one since Mexico.

I don't think you will need one. But I always take along a light hoodie just in case.

Depends which type of boats they use. All our boats offer excellent shelter against rain, wind and sun.

May be an odd question but I just got back from Cozumel and froze on the boat after diving.
I’ve been to Bali and Alor and Komodo and didn’t need a coverup on the boats (September).

I’ll be traveling to Lembeh, Bangka (and a LOB in Raja) in a few weeks.
Will I need a boat coat or surf poncho between dives or during the transfer? I’ve never had one but am thinking about one since Mexico.

On very rare occasions on an open boat, I've been glad to have a light windbreaker

A boat coat, definite overkill.

I just got back from Lembeh and I took a light pullover. I only used it a few times over a 3 week period. The boat crew at NAD would close the front walkthrough if the wind or rain started.

I packed long sleeves and fleece pants for my trip to Raja Ampat and after the first day in 90* weather, I thought, 'well, that was a waste of luggage space'. Fast forward a few days, at 4 dives/day, I started getting quite chilled, even when it was hot and sunny out, and ended up wearing my pants for the rest of the trip. At times I wished I had brought a sweatshirt instead of just long sleeves shirts.

If you are doing multiple dives over multiple days, and especially if you tend to get chilled between dives, I'd bring a warm set of clothes. A boat coat is probably overkill for a liveaboard (on my liveaboard, I just changed out of my wetsuit and wet swimsuit, and into a dry swimsuit and warm clothes between dives), but if you're going to be boat diving as well, then for sure bring something that you know will keep you warm during the SI.

I can't imagine wearing fleece in north sulawesi. I've been 3 times, no less than 10 days (usually 3 weeks). Even in the rain, I've only needed the lightest of cover ups. On the boats, as has been mentioned, there can be some wind chill. I have been mighty surprised at the water temps a time or two. Brrr

Definitely have a beanie.

I have a fleece surf poncho that I'll bring. My warmest clothing I wear on the plane so I have it anyway: sweatshirt jacket, scarf/wrap, sweater and pants.

I cannot tell you how many times in Indonesia I have surfaced from a cold dive into wind and rain that whipped up while I was underwater. Add to that a 45 minute run in a speed boat and nowhere to shelter... I have been cold, cold, cold. Aint nothing wrong with a tropical/lightweight raincoat during the rainy season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom