Kids 7mm dive suit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My 10 year old is in the process of getting certified. Southern California water temps are about 57 degrees right now. I have him in a body glove 7MM I picked up from Sport Chalet when they were closing. Wetsuit fits about as well as possible, he's tall and skinny. I am trying to find something a little warmer for him. Anyone been through this with their kids or have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Scott

Following as I am having a heck of a time finding a wetsuit that fits well enough to keep my daughter warm.

Scott I am guessing you have the same fit issue I’m having with my daughter.

If it fits tight enough then it’s torso length is too short. If I go up to get torso length right it’s too loose. Going custom is just too expensive for a growing kid. In kids sizes she needs the fit of a youth 8 but the length of a youth 10. She gets cold easy so a minimum of 4mm but 5 would be better for her. I’m almost about to buy something cheap in a 10 and cut it up and glue it back. If anyone has an old 5mm or the like that their child has outgrown they want to let go cheap I’m interested. She is 4'8" and weighs 60lbs.

I don’t know about other agencies, but with PADI you can link drysuit with the open water class. If you find a shop with the right size in rental, your young diver will probably be far happier with the course. For instance, I have a Fusion 2XS/XS in my rental.

I don’t know about other agencies, but with PADI you can link drysuit with the open water class. If you find a shop with the right size in rental, your young diver will probably be far happier with the course. For instance, I have a Fusion 2XS/XS in my rental.

You can do the same with SDI, as well.

My 10 year old is in the process of getting certified. Southern California water temps are about 57 degrees right now. I have him in a body glove 7MM I picked up from Sport Chalet when they were closing. Wetsuit fits about as well as possible, he's tall and skinny. I am trying to find something a little warmer for him. Anyone been through this with their kids or have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott:

Perhaps our 7 mm suit will fit him? Check out the size chart. This suit will be very warm!

Thanks

Dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Youth-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/my2y3drc.htm

MY2Y3DRC-2T.jpg

That is exactly what I am dealing with, my kid is 4'10 and 72 pounds. I looked for a hooded vest but was unable to find a kids size. Ended up with a womens xs but it is still way to big. He loves the classes, just comes out of the water cold. I guess I should take his mounatin bike away until he gains some weight.

Following as I am having a heck of a time finding a wetsuit that fits well enough to keep my daughter warm.

Scott I am guessing you have the same fit issue I’m having with my daughter.

If it fits tight enough then it’s torso length is too short. If I go up to get torso length right it’s too loose. Going custom is just too expensive for a growing kid. In kids sizes she needs the fit of a youth 8 but the length of a youth 10. She gets cold easy so a minimum of 4mm but 5 would be better for her. I’m almost about to buy something cheap in a 10 and cut it up and glue it back. If anyone has an old 5mm or the like that their child has outgrown they want to let go cheap I’m interested. She is 4'8" and weighs 60lbs.

Height is good but he is only 72 pounds so I have a feeling it will be pretty loose. My brother dives a Mako for spearfishing and loves it. It is something I will definitely consider, thanks for the response.
Scott:

Perhaps our 7 mm suit will fit him? Check out the size chart. This suit will be very warm!

Thanks

Dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Youth-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/my2y3drc.htm

View attachment 559644

The Bare Manta worked well for my kid. Wears with a 5/3 Neosport hooded vest and XS scuba dry five gloves and 7mm Henderson boots. A pain to get into everything, but good into the low 50sF. The good gloves made a huge difference for him.

Sizing is tough for what you listed, though.

Not trying to throw a damper on things, but I hope the Op is aware that kids are far more susceptible to hypothermia than adults. Because of their body mass, kids lose body temperature a lot more quickly in cold water than us "older" folks. So keep him warm and toasty, whatever it takes.

8D0FC2D3-A480-41DE-A1BB-BC0A555127DA.jpeg
View attachment 563040 View attachment 563040 I ended up cutting one of his 4/3 surf suits into a spring suit and putting that over the top of his dive suit since I could not find any other alternatives without going custom. He looks kind of funny but he stayed warmer.

He is in the water at least twice a week for hours in just his surf suit and he is fine. Fully immersed he freezes though.

Instructors have said he has done great on his three beach dives. We dive Catalina island this weekend to complete his certification. He is so excited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom