scubapro galileo HUD has anyone got any experience with this dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronnie simpson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi guys, anyone ot there with some real life experience with the hud from scubapro, I am thinking of buying one, but would like some honest opinions of this bit of kit before I buy thanks.

Display is awful. Dot matrix screen that looks like 1980’s Pong game. Must be attached to specific SP mask type. Looks like a not ready for real-time prototype.

Does Scubapro have Buehlmann or VPM meanwhile or are they still using their proprietary algorithms?

The HUD offers two dive algorithms: the Predictive Multi-Gas Bühlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB PMG or ZH-L16 Gradient Factor.

hi guys, anyone ot there with some real life experience with the hud from scubapro, I am thinking of buying one, but would like some honest opinions of this bit of kit before I buy thanks.

I have about 100 dives on mine. Been using one since they first came out. I really like it. I don't have a problem reading the display and the menues are really easy to scroll through and change. Some things to know about the hud...
  • It is a stand alone computer
  • It takes about 10 dives to get used to looking through the display (similar to shooting with 2 eyes open with a rifle scope)
  • You can program GPS waypoints into it for surface navigation but GPS doesn't work underwater. (Really cool for search and recovery work tho)
  • 2 different algo choices
  • Is rechargeable (get about 25 - 1 hour dives on a charge)
  • Can mount to ANY (at least havent found one it wont mount to) 2 window mask.
  • Does have bluetooth
  • Is trimix compatible
  • Multiple gas compatible
  • Screen looks great. It is OLED very clear.
  • Multiple screen choices while diving
  • Heads up nav compass works very well
  • Finally a scubapro computer you can change settings on while in dive mode
  • Best to turn the screen brightness up for day dives and wayyyy down for night dives or wreck dives
  • Syncs with transmitter easily
  • Reverse compatible with older SP transmitters.
  • If you dive say a Luna, SOL, or G2 you only need one trans for 2 computers. (Hud and wrist unit)
  • Diving in murky water doesn't change screen viz
  • Have used both a clear mask and a tinted mask with HUD, tint doesn't change screen viz
Over all really enjoyed my HUD diving experiences. But it's not for everyone.

Given the $1600 ish price tag they aren't that much more than any top of the line color screen wireless dive computer.

Happy Diving.

I have about 100 dives on mine. Been using one since they first came out. I really like it. I don't have a problem reading the display and the menues are really easy to scroll through and change. Some things to know about the hud...
  • It is a stand alone computer
  • It takes about 10 dives to get used to looking through the display (similar to shooting with 2 eyes open with a rifle scope)
  • You can program GPS waypoints into it for surface navigation but GPS doesn't work underwater. (Really cool for search and recovery work tho)
  • 2 different algo choices
  • Is rechargeable (get about 25 - 1 hour dives on a charge)
  • Can mount to ANY (at least havent found one it wont mount to) 2 window mask.
  • Does have bluetooth
  • Is trimix compatible
  • Multiple gas compatible
  • Screen looks great. It is OLED very clear.
  • Multiple screen choices while diving
  • Heads up nav compass works very well
  • Finally a scubapro computer you can change settings on while in dive mode
  • Best to turn the screen brightness up for day dives and wayyyy down for night dives or wreck dives
  • Syncs with transmitter easily
  • Reverse compatible with older SP transmitters.
  • If you dive say a Luna, SOL, or G2 you only need one trans for 2 computers. (Hud and wrist unit)
  • Diving in murky water doesn't change screen viz
  • Have used both a clear mask and a tinted mask with HUD, tint doesn't change screen viz
Over all really enjoyed my HUD diving experiences. But it's not for everyone.

Given the $1600 ish price tag they aren't that much more than any top of the line color screen wireless dive computer.

Happy Diving.
thanks for the info and honest opinion I have ordered one and will get it on 15th of febuary

It is interesting that Scubapro offers ZH-L16C with GF on the HUD, in addition to ZH-L16 ADT MB. I wonder why they don't offer this algorithm on any other computers, making them acceptable to a larger number of divers. I found it somewhat odd that the tank reserve, RBT, is not functional when using ZH-L16C with GF, only when using ZH-:16 ADT MB. The Scubapro RBT works the same as Pelagic ATR/GTR, and includes all stops, safety or deco.

As a one handed diver the hud is perfect for me was diving off kos this month 12 dives in total. I found my buoyancy so m,ich better as i did not have to fight with my left arm to look at the dive data. I found that if i didn’t consciously look at the display it would disappear from my vision . What i found very good was the nest stop times sand safety stop times in my vision and ascent rates , and bottle pressure always on hand for me a godsend my diving has become a lot more relaxede and i enjoy the dives a lot more . My confidence has grown thanks to the hud i am always informed on the stuff i need to know 5 stars from me i can only recommend it to any one who can afford it taking it to Cozumel in dec ember to met some bull sharks.

It is interesting that Scubapro offers ZH-L16C with GF on the HUD, in addition to ZH-L16 ADT MB. I wonder why they don't offer this algorithm on any other computers, making them acceptable to a larger number of divers.

Gradient Factors are forth coming for the G2. Divers have been testing the GF for validation, but has been delayed due to limited diving from Covid. For those who have a G2 the upgrade will be via software update.

The HUD works well in poor viz. I found the display easy to read and the computer easy to use. Both the G2 and the HUD can use the same transmitter on the same dive, which is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom