How many of you use a diving gear bag?

How many of you use a diving gear bag?

• I use a regular travel / luggage bag instead of a diving gear bag. I see no difference.

Votes: 67 54.0%
  • I use a dedicated scuba diving gear bag that is built for that purpose.

Votes: 57 46.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for local diving:
wanne.jpg

when traveling:
red400.jpg

For local diving I have recently resorted to using an Ikea bag like the one in the picture below. It has lots of room and is waterproof. I will have to inquire with my wife why we have it as I don't recall making any Ikea purchases in the last 6 months.

upload_2020-1-22_13-0-42.jpeg

-Z

Travel light, move fast.

I'm a minimalist.
Just did a Caribbean liveaboard with this checked bag and a small under-seat carry-on.
No wheels, don't need 'em.
The backpack straps allow me to move gracefully through crowded places.

bag2.jpg

Best to travel under-the-radar, so I don't use any luggage or clothing with a scuba logo.
I feel no need for anyone to know I'm a diver until I get to a boat.

Packed inside are my BP/W, Aeris Accel Fins, high-top booties, 3mm full, 2mm shorty, spare mask, two BigBlue lights and charger, a spare inflator, SMB, and a couple t-shirts.
No tools, or additional spares. There's always someone on the boat who's packed a small hardware store.

Regs, mask, batteries, and a good paperback book go in my small carry-on.

Documents, IDs, phone, charging cable, ear plugs, bits and pieces,
all go into the multiple pockets of my thrift store travel vest.

Disclaimer: I don't travel with U/W camera gear anymore.
I live in the moment.

K.

I voted but I should clarify I use a regular luggage to transport gear to wherever I'm flying, But I use a mesh Stahlsac for taking gear to and fro the boat. The question wasn't worded well for a proper answer.

I don't dive local. I travel with regular luggage though, as Hatchetjoe, said above, I also have a mesh backpack bag with me (it's ancient Mares) for transporting gear at my ultimate location. That isn't necessary for liveaboard trips nor dedicated dive resorts. I still use it if I'm staying in a town somewhere and will be transporting my own gear to and fro the dive op.

For liveaboards, I have found that using a good strong duffle bag is better than a large hardsider.

For air travel I have a dedicated carry-on suitcase that fits all my dive gear. Once at the hotel I transfer everything to a mesh scuba duffel bag.
4A725037-E0BB-4BD7-A514-9A948D0408BB.jpeg

Innovative Heavy Duty Large Mesh Duffel Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JPLB6K/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_z4asFb3BKC9Y9

When I dive local, I use the Apeks 75 dry backpack for the drysuit and a customized milk crate for the gear.

9986120C-F485-4962-9D27-0DACCB5B3E8A.jpeg

For local diving, I use my laundry hamper. I forget how much it cost, but it was very cheap.

For travel, I do have a scuba bag, the mesh drainage is useful.

For local diving, I use a milk crate. All other diving, Stahlsac Curaçao Clipper for airport travel and a mesh dive bag to transport gear from hotel room to boat/dive site.

Airline travel it's a samsonite hardshell (medium large) which fits 2 backplates, 2 wings, 2 sets of accel fins, 2 3.5mm wetsuits, 2 masks and various other smaller accountrements without issue, with the regs and computers going in hand luggage. On location, it's usually a crate, or whatever the dive op has for storing/hanging gear.

For plane travel, I use regular luggage, but my Akona mesh duffle is inside, which I use to take my gear to and from the boat/dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom