First rebreather choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things I am not crazy about is the paddle display and the need to replace batteries as you advance in your training. Also making upgrades like BM counterlungs and inverting the cylinders are not cheap when going through Poseidon.

The paddle is a little annoying once you get on the helium but it can be swapped for an M28 computer easily (on the Se7en). The battery issue is an interesting one. Originally the batteries were linked to cert limits, as a requirement by agencies. They would ship you a unit, but the battery would be sent to your instructor, thus reducing people diving beyond their cert limits without training. In theory.

That process is now gone, you can order whatever battery you want with the unit. On a Mk6 it makes sense to get a 60m trimix battery since thats the unit limit, on a Seven get a black Deep battery which is unlimited.

That sucks for those who got batteries back in the day but it is no longer an issue.

The BM lungs cost the same as the FM if you are buying a new unit and its a checkbox option when ordering. The inversion kit can be built yourself a bit cheaper but its around 100 USD from Poseidon, last time I checked. If you buy a tech Se7en new now, it will come ready for hypoxic dives out of the box (BP/W, deep battery, inversion kits, M28 etc)

That is the way I would go if I KNEW I would be ending up Mod3. If you want to dip your toes in, get a Se7en Sport, will be upgradable for around the same cost but the investment is lower while you are unsure.

If you PM me I can give you a line on some savings for upgrades etc.

At 50 hours you will definitely be comfortable and enjoy diving the ccr.
At 50 hrs I was just discovering how little I really knew about rebreathers :wink:

@ND5342 adding on to what @RainPilot said.
The rebreather concept is fine, but it's a perfect example of "Put Another Dollar In". It's fine to me though since the original intention was to sell a Type R unit.

Most I see sold are sold with the black battery and at least the "tech" kit, since it boggles my mind that there are no MAV's on the standard unit. I understand Type R, but I think the Type R concept is idiotic.

As a tech unit, a lockout of any variety is IMO completely unacceptable, as is the inability to change setpoints underwater. That has I think been alleviated with the M28. Either way it's a perfectly "fine" unit, albeit not one that would ever work for my diving

As a tech unit, a lockout of any variety is IMO completely unacceptable, as is the inability to change setpoints underwater. That has I think been alleviated with the M28. Either way it's a perfectly "fine" unit, albeit not one that would ever work for my diving

Can't change setpoints? Who dreamt that idea up?

At 50 hrs I was just discovering how little I really knew about rebreathers :wink:
Yea exactly
My buoyancy was improved (but still is "meh" sometimes) but I was not really gorking much of the rest.

PADI Type R standards I believe, same reason for no MAV's I believe

So how do you do a dil flush at depth, when the unit is trying to hold 1.3?

I don't believe the Type R standards allow for that, and on the Tec unit that at least has MAV's, I have no idea. Ask @RainPilot

Huh. I guess I have never learned much about Type R. Scary! So you basically just rely on everything going fine electronically and bail out if any question?

Huh. I guess I have never learned much about Type R. Scary! So you basically just rely on everything going fine electronically and bail out if any question?

that's how most Mod 1 courses are taught anyway, even on "real" rebreathers. "when in doubt, bailout" and it's not until mod2/3 or cave training that you actually learn how to stay on the unit when things get weird.

that's how most Mod 1 courses are taught anyway, even on "real" rebreathers. "when in doubt, bailout" and it's not until mod2/3 or cave training that you actually learn how to stay on the unit when things get weird.
If they are following TDI standards that statement is not true. I can't speak for other agencies but I can speak for at least 2 manufacturers guidelines that also require dil flush, open loop, and other survival skills to be taught in addition to bailout.

Back
Top Bottom