Teric Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are being a little disingenuous in calling the Teric a pricey, bug- ridden DC. Your personal experience with a single unit that may have an issue is hardly reason to call it that - especially when Shearwater is fixing it. BTW, if you actually read the manual, you will see that Shearwater recommends a backup SPG.
Thanks for your opinion. Not to engage in argumentative conversation here but disingenuous may not have been the word you intended: it means insincere and I am quite sincere.

Thanks for your opinion. Not to engage in argumentative conversation here but disingenuous may not have been the word you intended: it means insincere and I am quite sincere.
How can it be sincere to refer to the Teric as a pricey, bug ridden DC when you have had 1 issue with the single unit that you own? Unless you are intentionally ignoring the data, you can easily see the myriad of positive reviews and very low problem rates here on SB for the Teric (and nothing is zero defect).

So... if you are sincere, then you are also ill-informed and being unfair in your characterization of the Teric.

How can it be sincere to refer to the Teric as a pricey, bug ridden DC when you have had 1 issue with the single unit that you own? Unless you are intentionally ignoring the data, you can easily see the myriad of positive reviews and very low problem rates here on SB for the Teric (and nothing is zero defect).

So... if you are sincere, then you are also ill-informed and being unfair in your characterization of the Teric.
To be fair to the OP he can easily feel sincere in his experience with a not cheap computer having an issue right out of the box, even if it doesn’t match most others experience. I think his real problem is the middle man slowing resolution and once confidence is lost in a piece of gear it can be hard to regain. I feel that direct communication with SW will help that process or he may want to fight for a refund and get another Suunto.

To be fair to the OP he can easily feel sincere in his experience with a not cheap computer having an issue right out of the box, even if it doesn’t match most others experience. I think his real problem is the middle man slowing resolution and once confidence is lost in a piece of gear it can be hard to regain. I feel that direct communication with SW will help that process or he may want to fight for a refund and get another Suunto.
I'm not trying to discount the OPs experience as I'm also always disappointed when I get a product and it does not work as it is supposed to (I just had that with a PC I bought my daughter for Christmas - and back it went) .

I never accept "fixing" a brand new item - it either gets replaced or I return and repurchase. In this case, since the issue could easily be the transmitter, it made sense that they tried a new battery and a new transitter. However, after that the Op should have demanded a replacement if he did not want a "refurbed" unit - I know I would have.

Bottom line is that the Teric is a great DC and appears to have very few issues based on what we can see publicly (every diver I've come across with one loves it). Shearwater also has a track record of incredible customer service and support (some examples in this thread) so I have absolute trust that they will always make things right if there is a problem.

At this point, the OP has 3 choices as I see it:
  • Ask for a brand new unit (I would)
  • Accept the "fixed" unit - though I would want to know what the root casue was determined to be and how the fixes addressed that. In this case, I'm not sure what replacing the depth sensor has to do with AI losing communications (assuming that is part of what they did)?
  • Get a refund and buy something else that they think is more reliable and has better customer service (good luck with that :))

At this point,the OP has 3 chioces as I see it:
  • Ask for a brand new unit (I would)
  • Accept the "fixed" unit - though I would want to know what the root casue was determined to be and how the fixes addressed that. In this case, I'm not sure what replacing the depth sensor gas to do with AI losing communications (assuming that is part of what they did)?
  • Get a refund and buy something else that they think is more reliable and has better customer service (good luck with that :))
These things do happen. I'm like you. The LDS would have to replace once they determined it wasn't the transmitter. That would have been the right thing to do on their part.

Hi ScubaBoard,
I recently purchased the Shearwater Teric AI after reading rave reviews. I bought from LDS andtested it in the pool. It failed comms. They gave me a new transmitter (the grey one) and it seemed to work.
After making a couple of hose changes to my reg setup, I again tested in the pool a month later and the Teric failed altogether.
My LDS sent back to Shearwater and they updated firmware and replaced depth sensor. I am leaving for remote diving trip in less than a month and waiting for Teric to return to test. I am seriously regretting this pretty pricey investment and feel super distrustful of its reliability.
Anyone else having Teric failures?
Thanks,

Main Reason I purchased my Teric, was SW reputation. I had never personally talked with anyone that had a failure with a SW device.

Then, i purchased mine.... Nex there you know, my Teric went back to SW twice, once to the Battery Drain issues after a Firmware update and the second was a speak issue. (Perfect since) My partners Petral died, and one of my students had the transmitter issue.

In the end, no devices going under water are going to be perfect, sooner or later every Manufacture will have issues. If you have the DC that best fits you... KEEP IT and do not regret.

Hi ScubaBoard,
I again tested in the pool a month later and the Teric failed altogether.
Good for you that you tested in the pool.
About 25 years ago I purchased my first Sherwood DC from a mail order company, tested it in neighbor's pool (by just submerging it to 6') and it failed.
It was just 2 weeks before my scheduled liveaboard trip - just enough time so they could send me a replacement.
The new DC worked flawlessly for the last 25 years but it is air only computer.
Months ago purchased a Teric - this time there was no neighbor with a pool, with some apprehension took it for my recent liveaboard to Truk lagoon - worked flawlessly.
Knock, knock on unpainted wood that will continue to work fine - I have many trips coming this year.

Back
Top Bottom