Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screenshot_20200117-140853_Firefox.jpg
Previous Port Captain would probably keep the port open Monday for 2 AM dives. This PC probably not.

Previous Port Captain would probably keep the port open Monday for 2 AM dives. This PC probably not.
That is probably correct since one is definitely coming for Tuesday but here's hoping she has learned from then.

Is no one posting here because they're too depressed about the number of port closures?

It was closed yesterday and this morning. Looks like it opened sometime today. I wasn't going to wait around to find out.

I stand corrected.It hasn't reopened. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday but maybe tomorrow. Doesn't look bad now.

I stand corrected.It hasn't reopened. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday but maybe tomorrow. Doesn't look bad now.

Ya'll have probably read my posts about January being the worst month for Nortes. Christi even argued with me for a while but even her own data (which I question overall) proved the point. To come to Cozumel for diving in January--then complain that the port is closed is silly.

JANUARY HAS THE MOST PORT CLOSURES—regardless of Port Captain. Why the hell do you think Aldora went through all the grief to dive the other side?

Dave Dillehay

PS May-June or September/October are the best months for everything.

Ya'll have probably read my posts about January being the worst month for Nortes. Christi even argued with me for a while but even her own data (which I question overall) proved the point. To come to Cozumel for diving in January--then complain that the port is closed is silly.

JANUARY HAS THE MOST PORT CLOSURES—regardless of Port Captain. Why the hell do you think Aldora went through all the grief to dive the other side?

Dave Dillehay

I think it's legitimate to complain if the port is closed when the wind is fine and the water is flat, like it was on the 2nd and the morning of the 4th. That makes a bad month worse than it needs to be.

Dave Dillehay

Yes Dave read your post many times about Norte season especially January. I usually come several times a year and January is the only month I don't work so I usually come anyway knowing I could get blown out. In the many years I have come I usually luck out as I might miss a day or two. This trip I did get 7 days of diving so I am more then ecstatic. If I would have come over Christmas like I normally do I would have dove one day. It's the luck of the draw.

I do get a kick out of the entire Coz dive op industry that claims "Nortes aren't that common and when they hit they usually last a day". ABSOLUTE BS! Nortes are very common during the winter season and the related port closures can last for multiple, consecutive days. Why do we visit in December for around 2 1/2 weeks with 14 days of diving booked? Because we'll usually get about 10 days of diving in due to Nortes and related port closures. I've seen Dallas and Houston divers fly in for a short 5 day trip and they never get to dive. Anyone who dives Coz should be more concerned with Nortes in the winter than hurricanes during the hurricane season. As much as I would like to think Wind Guru may be wrong, it's right more times than wrong.

Back
Top Bottom