Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two simple solution options from me.

Top Picture Stainless ring (or D-Ring) connected to dSMB with SS screwgate

Second Pic, Stainless ring (or D-Ring) simply had dSMB webbing threaded through it

All my spools have a spring gate which attaches to the dSMB ring (You could permanently attach yours if you like). The bungee cord on the spring gate goes around the spool and stops it unwinding if the double ender comes off or if I fumble it getting it out of pocket

My dSMB and spool stay connected during dive (dSMB goes in a pocket, spool normally hangs outside clipped with double ender for additional security (and I use double ender to clip off line to spool at a stop)

I have a (large) number of spools of varying sizes, as well as 4 or 5 different dSMB's hence I prefer the ability to quickly re rig depending on usage, or even detach spool during the dive if I need a line for anything. Personal pref

upload_2020-1-23_14-5-55.png

upload_2020-1-23_14-6-40.png

I just read that additional thread linked. So, generally the line is not kept attached to the SMB until it is being deployed? Why not always have the line attached?
I think you can do both: that’s useful if you want to use a spool or reel for something else as well.

Some training agencies will require you to be able to rig it underwater, but that’s only to check that you can do this additional step if needed.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I bought a Halcyon Defender spool: it is supposed to be 55m but there isn’t enough room to clip a double ender, is it common to have to cut some line on this spool ? I feel a bit cheated about the length now

I think you can do both: that’s useful if you want to use a spool or reel for something else as well.

You can, do both. Some people like to stash their dsmb say on a butt ring, or in bungee loo on their plate and a spool say in a pocket.

Me, because I dive currents want to be able to launch the bag pronto if I get blown off. No desire for faffing connecting a spool and dsmb in a down current. A'int no-one got time for that nonsense

My primary bad (an Apex crack bottle) is even more cunningly rigged. The bungees are attached in such a way that I can pull the spool away from the bag, pulling off both bungees at teh same time. Then because the knob on the bottle is accessible - twist and its gone. In under 10 seconds.

I can even do it with one and a half hands i.e. the spool hand also has a muck stick deeply implanted in some rock, with me gripping it like grim death to avoid having a bad day.

No right or wrong way as long as its configured in such a way that meets a users requirements and circumstances) and its easy to use

I tuck the spool in a weight pocket that I keep on my right shoulder harness. The double ender locks the line and spool and sausage together. The double ender and sausage hang out but the weight pocket flaps secures the spool. It is easy to yank it free quickly for deployment. On the left, you can see the sausage, on the right, you can see the weight pocket, empty in this case, XS pocket with velcro flap:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-24-at-8-03-52-PM.png

When diving, I just shove the loaded pocket back and down so that it rests behind me on my hip, near the plate and tank. I like the Delrin spools with the large finger hole:

IMG-2518.jpg

N

Halcyon Defender spool: it is supposed to be 55m but there isn’t enough room to clip a double ender, is it common to have to cut some line on this spool ? I feel a bit cheated about the length now
Often on smaller derilin spools you need to remove line

To be fair it'd be unusual to use all 55m, unless you're launching deep in which case a bigger spool would be a better option

The Apex Ali spools are the Cats pyjamas I have 5 now.

If you really want some bullet proof bling then head over to Kent Tooling

Its good stuff I have a number of their 100m reels

Dangerous site to visit - be warned!

...is it common to have to cut some line on this spool ? I feel a bit cheated about the length now

It is common to cut some line from a thumb spool, otherwise it's harder to wrap the line back on and clip the bolt snap back onto the spool, especially with thick gloves. If you don't want to cut it, you can try and remember to wrap the reel back up more on one side, leaving one of the spool holes exposed for clipping.

Don't feel cheated. If you cut off some of the cave line, it's the perfect thin-ness for tying to bolt snaps, regs, lights, etc. :wink: I keep some in my save-a-dive kit.

That seems like a complex solution to an almost non-existent problem. (I'm thinking of my sausage fingers in dry gloves trying to feed that line through the hole. Why not just clip off through a hole like every one is suggesting?

Two simple solution options from me.

Top Picture Stainless ring (or D-Ring) connected to dSMB with SS screwgate

Second Pic, Stainless ring (or D-Ring) simply had dSMB webbing threaded through it

All my spools have a spring gate which attaches to the dSMB ring (You could permanently attach yours if you like). The bungee cord on the spring gate goes around the spool and stops it unwinding if the double ender comes off or if I fumble it getting it out of pocket

My dSMB and spool stay connected during dive (dSMB goes in a pocket, spool normally hangs outside clipped with double ender for additional security (and I use double ender to clip off line to spool at a stop)

I have a (large) number of spools of varying sizes, as well as 4 or 5 different dSMB's hence I prefer the ability to quickly re rig depending on usage, or even detach spool during the dive if I need a line for anything. Personal pref

View attachment 563303

View attachment 563304

where did you get the yellow bungee your using with the black tip attached to your swivel? I’d like to copy this set up

That seems like a complex solution to an almost non-existent problem. (I'm thinking of my sausage fingers in dry gloves trying to feed that line through the hole. Why not just clip off through a hole like every one is suggesting?
+1 on this video

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have a very related question.

I've been looking for away to pre-attach my spool and dsmb to make deployment easier and faster. There are a number of good suggestion and photos in this thread showing various methods for doing this. However, all the DSMBs shown have a D-ring attached to the bottom which makes a nice tidy attachment point and allows for the whole configuration to be stowed compactly into a little bundle.

My DSMB doesn't have a d-ring - just a big ol' loop of webbing:
View attachment 563174
View attachment 563175

With the spool attached, it makes for a messy configuration the big loop of loose webbing. Any advice on how I can store this pre-rigged DSMB/spool combo in a tidy and compact way?
I put a thin bungee through the big loop of webbing then tie the bungee into a loop that is slightly smaller than the tightly rolled up DSMB. I roll up the DSMB, then roll the webbing around the DSMB, pulling the loop of bungee to the end of the webbing, and finally pull the bungee loop over the webbing and DSMB.

To unfurl the DSMB, I just slip the bungee off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom