First rebreather choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first 50 hours I liked it, the next 350 I still liked it. Then you get after more than 400 hours a CO2 hit and you think: what a @#$@#$@#$@# Machine. LOL. But more serious: A ccr gives you freedom and nice dives, but it is not safer or usefull on ALL dives. Some are better on oc or sidemount. And if you don't practise, a ccr can become dangerous. Be a trained and thinking diver.

I was taught by 3 instructors that scr mode is a way to extend your bailout gas when applicable. Though I need to make sure I state it doesn’t mean you can carry less gas.

What am I missing? I see rjack’s point with hypoxia dil vertically, but all ,y diving is in caves where scr is an important skill

I was taught by 3 instructors that scr mode is a way to extend your bailout gas when applicable. Though I need to make sure I state it doesn’t mean you can carry less gas.

What am I missing? I see rjack’s point with hypoxia dil vertically, but all ,y diving is in caves where scr is an important skill

agreed, as is the point of using legitimate dil ppO2's where not only does SCR become practical/reasonable, but it also saves on O2 us, and more importantly won't annihilate your decompression plan if you do have to bail out.

I have only had to bailout a couple of times, one was a flooded unit once was a CO2 hit in a cave. The whole time back I was hoping my bailout calcs were correct. My security was my 2 team members were also carrying bailout.
So in neither of my two real world experiences would SCR have been any use to me.

I have only had to bailout a couple of times, one was a flooded unit once was a CO2 hit in a cave. The whole time back I was hoping my bailout calcs were correct. My security was my 2 team members were also carrying bailout.
So in neither of my two real world experiences would SCR have been any use to me.

It's basically just for loss of PO2 monitoring capability or loss of O2. It's not gonna fix scrubber breakthrough or a flooded unit.

scr isn’t a cure all. Its just an option to help keep you on the loop. In my mod1 course we were actually taught when in doubt bail out, but preferably get back on the loop whenever safely possible. I’m surprised most mod1 courses arent geared to teach that. Its becoming more obvious that since I’m strictly diving caves and all my ccr instructors are cave instructors that my courses were geared differently than a classic ow ccr course.
Based on your response I though you were saying that scr doesnt extend bailout gas, but I see you werent saying that. Scr mode is not ideal for alot of situations, but its a great tool to have.

scr isn’t a cure all. Its just an option to help keep you on the loop. In my mod1 course we were actually taught when in doubt bail out, but preferably get back on the loop whenever safely possible. I’m surprised most mod1 courses arent geared to teach that. Its becoming more obvious that since I’m strictly diving caves and all my ccr instructors are cave instructors that my courses were geared differently than a classic ow ccr course.
Based on your response I though you were saying that scr doesnt extend bailout gas, but I see you werent saying that. Scr mode is not ideal for alot of situations, but its a great tool to have.

that was the mentality in my classes as well. Get off the loop, then figure out how to get back on the loop.

that was the mentality in my classes as well. Get off the loop, then figure out how to get back on the loop.
In MOD1? Why?
Leon is pretty adamite that returning to the loop is only something you should consider if the problem that caused you to BO in the first place is simple and obvious. The concept of "I'm not entirely sure but let me "test" the loop" was vehemently discouraged at the entry level. Now I know some of you have removed your O2 gauges (and sometimes I hear of no gauges on dil and BO too) from your cave oriented units - so that begs the question of how you prove to yourself you know that you ran out of O2 and that the loop is otherwise safe to breath SCR? Gee my O2 MAV isn't working I must be out? Is there anything else to even try? For the record - I have O2, dil, and BO gauges on both my units so even dark, cold, and narced I have actual affirmative information on all my gases.

Sure it’s some added task loading when you’re already task loaded, but knowing I’m extending my bailout by large factors is calming.
I'd say if you need SCR to calmly exit, you need to carry more BO in the first place.

@rjack321 my mod1 was taught by a cave instructor knowing full well that I got the thing to dive in caves... It went WELL above and beyond the normal mod1 course in terms of skills... I.e. I had to complete a dive, on SCR, with ONLY my drysuit hose. O2=dead, wing inflator=dead, ADV=dead, electronics=dead, second stages=dead. It was a ~45 minute dance with a lot of depth changes due to reel work in the cavern, and me moving the inflator hose between drysuit/wing/MAV while on SCR.

No gauges on inflation or O2. My dil/out bottles have them since they're just standard regulators with a QC6 added, but the "small" bottles don't have gauges.

@rjack321 my mod1 was taught by a cave instructor knowing full well that I got the thing to dive in caves... It went WELL above and beyond the normal mod1 course in terms of skills... I.e. I had to complete a dive, on SCR, with ONLY my drysuit hose. O2=dead, wing inflator=dead, ADV=dead, electronics=dead, second stages=dead. It was a ~45 minute dance with a lot of depth changes due to reel work in the cavern, and me moving the inflator hose between drysuit/wing/MAV while on SCR.

No gauges on inflation or O2. My dil/out bottles have them since they're just standard regulators with a QC6 added, but the "small" bottles don't have gauges.

Yes right I get it, you had a fabulous super advanced MOD1 that was Cave CCR all in one!

The reality is that at the end of MOD1 you had basically the same number of hours as me so <10. SCR BOs from an overhead on a new CCR is too much too fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom