My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if you put permanent numbers MOD stickers on the side of your tanks, how do you adapt when you change the mix?

Put tape over the permanent decal and write the correct MOD number on the tape according to the fill. Here locally, I use black tape and white paint marker which is very visible at depth.

I was considering going to 80% rich gas because I couldn’t find a shop with a booster for their O2 to get me to 200+ bar. I ordered some 9m MOD decals from divesigns and had planned on putting the new 9m MOD decal right next to the 6m MOD decal and covering the incorrect decal depending on what I have in the tin. Lo and behold I found a fill station with a new booster so I’m in business with 100% O2 at 200+ bar and won’t need the 9m MOD decal but that was my solution.

I also have a permanent Trimix decal on my twinset which gets covered with black tape while diving regular air.

I was considering going to 80% rich gas because I couldn’t find a shop with a booster for their O2 to get me to 200+ bar. I ordered some 9m MOD decals from divesigns and had planned on putting the new 9m MOD decal right next to the 6m MOD decal and covering the incorrect decal depending on what I have in the tin. Lo and behold I found a fill station with a new booster so I’m in business with 100% O2 at 200+ bar and won’t need the 9m MOD decal but that was my solution.
Or do the quick and dirty ... Snip and flip your six!

@NothingClever

200++ bar of O2 is super heavy and more annoying to handle. If in doubt, I‘d get a slightly bigger tank and fill to 150-170 bar. AL7 (7 Liter) work super well in this respect. (For our imperial friends: An AL7 is something like 50-55cf, so sits between an Al40 and an Al80, and handles more like a 40 under water, than an 80).

I don't understand the appeal of an 80 of shallow gas. If you cant get 200bar of O2 big deal, 140bar is much less like a brick and that's way over an hour of shallow deco time. Unless you have a multi hour cave deco (where you aren't carrying the 80 with you all the time anyway) 40s are an optimum choice for O2.

Exactly... an 80 filled to 210 bar of O2 is like dragging an anvil around with you. Smaller shallow bottles filled to a reasonable pressure are the way to go. Al40 or Al7 depending on taste and availability (not sure if the 7s ever made it across the pond?)

Exactly... an 80 filled to 210 bar of O2 is like dragging an anvil around with you. Smaller shallow bottles filled to a reasonable pressure are the way to go. Al40 or Al7 depending on taste and availability (not sure if the 7s ever made it across the pond?)

Sadly there are no US DOT (or TC) approved ali7s over here.
Us North Americans (US Canada & MX) basically get to choose from ali 30s, 40s, 63s, 80s and 100s.

63s sound good for O2 bottles until you realize they are the same diameter as 80s just shorter.
30s (if full) can make for good small O2 bottles in the ocean where you only have 45-60mins of deco anyway. 40s are semi-standard for most O2 purposes. 80s are reserved for "big" dives, usually really deep, long or both. Sometimes people use lp72s for O2 on cave dives as they are easy to get filled, heavy so you can puff up your drysuit, and you drop them at 20ft anyway.

Not the best pic but this is a 7l next to a 80.

E194F1CB-94BA-4B7F-B592-3F99315F1209.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom