Weighting system and lift for cold water compatible BP/W.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I use, just as a data point that's not worth much:

In cold water:
Hollis 38 lbs wing
Al backplate
~6 lbs p-weight I cast to fit the backplate
STA (required because of how the p-weight mounts)
Adjustable harness with Hollis ditchable weight pockets
trim pockets on both cambands

In warm water:
Same wing
same backplate
single piece harness

Basically I’ll be replacing your p-weight by this:
trim pockets for backplate | DTD

But other than that the concept is fairly similar :) thank you for sharing!

Give us a pic when it's assembled.

Will do.

I’ll probably make a little review/feedback thread as there is very little information available about them

Here's what I use, just as a data point that's not worth much:

In cold water:
Hollis 38 lbs wing
Al backplate
~6 lbs p-weight I cast to fit the backplate
STA (required because of how the p-weight mounts)
Adjustable harness with Hollis ditchable weight pockets

In warm water:
Same wing
same backplate
single piece harness

I have an almost identical setup but for mine I don't have the p-weight and my ditchable weight pockets are some off-brand.

I’m glad to see that while “not optimum” the AL backplate + weighting system is working well in cold water for several people.

Excited to get my new set up

I just noticed this. I see I am too late...

Just buy a drysuit. Then get a SS backplate and a 30lb wing. an excessively large wing is a pain. I bought a 40lb one which was supposed to be good for a single and a twinset but is terrible for a single.

How much lead do you need to sink that wet suit?

In tropical waters, diving a single, I use a 9kg wing and a SS plate. I only have an Ali plate for diving extremely heavy rigs in tropical waters.

A dry suit is a different level all together. Both in term of training and cost. As you said, it’s a bit too late for me. However it might help somebody else whom read the thread!

I’ll give a feedback on whether it’s too big for me or not!

I’m glad to see that while “not optimum” the AL backplate + weighting system is working well in cold water for several people.

Excited to get my new set up
It works fine. The weight difference between an Al plate and an SS plate is like 4 lbs, so you just need to put that mass somewhere else. Yah, it's not the most efficient approach, but it isn't as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.

Just buy a drysuit. Then get a SS backplate and a 30lb wing. an excessively large wing is a pain. I bought a 40lb one which was supposed to be good for a single and a twinset but is terrible for a single.
I dive single tank, drysuit and BP/W. 30# isn't enough to float my rig by itself given my weight distribution. At least not during winter. There's just so much weight I'm willing to carry on my belt, the rest goes on my rig. Which then becomes rather negative, especially during winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom