VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that would be convenient but I'm using stock TDI/SDI stickers. I like your sticker, BTW.

I think that an agency sticker with my cert #'s imprinted (and a custom hole punch for date and type of inspection) will be the best bet to get a fill from shops who don't know me.

Stock TDISDI sticker:
View attachment 563813
It may be so. No way of knowing. If the info on the sticker reveals inspector ID, Agency, date and kind of inspection passed that is all the info that should be needed. The tank the sticker is on has the serial number and material etc. on it. All the info is there. Sticker design should be irrelevant. Providing the same info again on an inspection sheet is superficial fluff if the info was already present to begin with. If not, I can understand the request. I also don't have an issue providing it again. If needed I could email my inspection record to a shop on the spot. They can print it as many times as they want. I can sign it for them if it makes them happy. But it is superficial fluff in my case as all the info is on the tank. In time there may be more history in the inspection sheet, but really, who cares...

Agency really isn’t the issue in this one. The policy applies to ALL independently inspected tanks.

There is a certain dive shop that sells a lot of tanks and ships them to customers. The tanks are shipped with unattached valve and VIP sticker to be attached by the customer. Are these tanks actually inspected before they are shipped? Who knows what happens to these tanks during shipping?
The valve and VIP sticker are applied by the customer, who in most cases has no training or certification to do so. It is very doubtful they torque the valve properly. Do they lube the O ring and what did they use? WD-40? Who knows. The sticker could even be applied to a different tank that possibly failed a visual inspection before since the customer is trusted to attach the sticker to the tank they purchased.
Marie, I would trust your sticker before I would trust one from DRIS. That is why I won't fill tanks with their sticker. Would you?

My compressor, my rules.

Marie, I would trust your sticker before I would trust one from this shop. That is why I won't fill tanks with their sticker. Would you?
That is funny. And to support your stand on this: @abnfrog liked @Marie13's tank inspection sheet better than he liked mine. I picked up a few pointers from that.

what is wrong with writing your name and date on the sticker?
Absolutely nothing. I prefer not to, just me being 'me'.

If the info on the sticker reveals inspector ID, Agency, date and kind of inspection passed that is all the info that should be needed. The tank the sticker is on has the serial number and material etc. on it. All the info is there. Sticker design should be irrelevant.
^ Well worth repeating!

And this is my concern if the VIP process ever gets placed under 'government control'. The very first thing to go will be these personal freedoms that we now enjoy.
I believe it is already in the government control per the cfr's which is same as law. There is just no enforcement to speak of.

I believe it is already in the government control per the cfr's which is same as law.
I can only assume that you are baiting me. Pass.

21 USC §461 & 9 CFR §381.171(d) make it a crime to sell "Turkey Ham" as "Ham Turkey" or with the words "Turkey" and "Ham" in different fonts

I can only assume that you are baiting me. Pass.

21 USC §461 & 9 CFR §381.171(d) make it a crime to sell "Turkey Ham" as "Ham Turkey" or with the words "Turkey" and "Ham" in different fonts

No intent to bait from me. A vip class should take you throught the CFR's.

There is a certain dive shop that sells a lot of tanks and ships them to customers. The tanks are shipped with unattached valve and VIP sticker to be attached by the customer. Are these tanks actually inspected before they are shipped? Who knows what happens to these tanks during shipping?
The valve and VIP sticker are applied by the customer, who in most cases has no training or certification to do so. It is very doubtful they torque the valve properly. Do they lube the O ring and what did they use? WD-40? Who knows. The sticker could even be applied to a different tank that possibly failed a visual inspection before since the customer is trusted to attach the sticker to the tank they purchased.
Marie, I would trust your sticker before I would trust one from DRIS. That is why I won't fill tanks with their sticker. Would you?

My compressor, my rules.
The tanks are inspected prior to shipping from the factory and they meet all criteria actually for O2 use but are labeled for use up to 40%. All you have teo do is read the attached documentation on the tank form teh facrtory. Further the hydro stamp in itself serves as the vip sticker for the first year after the most recent stamped hydro date as vip is part of the hydrp process. That does not mean the hydro stamp is good for other than air use. If you want nitrox sticker the shop will have to the do the nitrox visual.

No intent to bait from me.
Sincere apologies.

Yes, I've dealt with endless CFR's during my working life. They are a good place to start. However, Homepage - Compressed Gas Association is better, (IMHO). @abnfrog touched on all this and compared/contrasted his TDISDI VIP Inspector course to PSI's offering. No personal bias either. He said we might want to pay the big bucks and take the PSI course if interested just to answer any questions about differences. I've considered it...

Back
Top Bottom