Anybody been to KBR/Lembeh recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpeckledGrouper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm in the planning stages for our trip next December and after Chuuk and Palau last month, it's time to go back to Indo.
We were at KBR in 2018 and loved it, so I thought it was a no brainer to go back again. As a matter of fact I already booked but haven't sent the deposit.
But I came across a few not so favorable reviews stating that the resort has declined, not being maintained, delapidated rooms and shortage of food....in addition, Beary the manager is no longer there. Last time we had guide to diver ratio 1 to 2, now it's only 1 to 4, nothing else possible...hmmmm.
So, if anybody has been there in the last few month, I would love to get the real scoop.
Alternatively, a suggestion for another resort that fits our needs of A/C, Internet, nice rooms and western food options. 2 to 1 diver/guide ratio would be nice.
Lembeh Resort looks like its on a hill, I probably would not be able to manage with 2 bad knees.
FYI, we are planning to stay at Gangga Island Resort the week before going back to Lembeh.
Thanks for any input!

I was going to suggest Black Sands until you mentioned your knees.

Lembeh Resort has rooms for those with mobility issues. They are slightly behind the restaurant building. Yes, still need to climb stairs for meals but not that bad.

Why Gangga Resort?

Why Gangga Resort?

Hmmmm, the resort sounds nice and the diving sounds better than Bunaken. We were initially going back to Raja for a week and try the new Meridiana Resort but a) they never replied to my emails and b) trying to keep the travel easy this time. Palau and Chuuk were 11 flights, and the year before we did Lembeh, Ambon and Gorontalo, a little much in 3 weeks time....

Hmmmm, the resort sounds nice and the diving sounds better than Bunaken. We were initially going back to Raja for a week and try the new Meridiana Resort but a) they never replied to my emails and b) trying to keep the travel easy this time. Palau and Chuuk were 11 flights, and the year before we did Lembeh, Ambon and Gorontalo, a little much in 3 weeks time....

There are other resorts on Bangka, that's why I was curious about your choice of Gangga. It is a higher star resort than the others on Bangka though. I'm still looking for reports on Bastianos new resort on Bangka.

Stayed at Gangga Island Resort in 2018 after an 11 day Raja live-a-board on the Gaia Love. The first dive at Gangga was as good or better than any of our Raja dives. Maybe it's because it came after a long travel day from Sorong. The resort is nice, food is good and they will cook outside of the buffet is you ask (we had a number of vegetarians in the group and they wanted some diversity from the buffet). Diving was nice, especially the "North Wall across the bay with tons of frogfish. We did have to have a chat with the guide that we did not want him touching anything to give us a "better" photograph. It was hard for him to understand our point since he said "everybody wants good pictures". After a second long chat, he stopped. We dove Lembeh one day for an extra cost, which you won't need to do because you're going there. All in all, only good comments from our group of 20. Same group is doing Palau and Chuuk this year (Nov-Dec). Did you do a trip report from your trip? Would welcome your thoughts on your trip there.

Rob

I am going to be at White Sands Beach Resort in Lembeh this month so I can’t give details but I chose them because they are new (but part of the established Eco-Divers family) the cottages look modern and comfortable, the food and diving has been positively reviewed.
Crossing my fingers!
White Sands Beach Resort Lembeh

I am going to be at White Sands Beach Resort in Lembeh this month so I can’t give details but I chose them because they are new (but part of the established Eco-Divers family) the cottages look modern and comfortable, the food and diving has been positively reviewed.
Crossing my fingers!
White Sands Beach Resort Lembeh

Curious as to whether or not ac available in rooms 24 hrs or only part of day. Curious about prices without having to book to find out.

Stayed at Gangga Island Resort in 2018 after an 11 day Raja live-a-board on the Gaia Love. The first dive at Gangga was as good or better than any of our Raja dives. Maybe it's because it came after a long travel day from Sorong. The resort is nice, food is good and they will cook outside of the buffet is you ask (we had a number of vegetarians in the group and they wanted some diversity from the buffet). Diving was nice, especially the "North Wall across the bay with tons of frogfish. We did have to have a chat with the guide that we did not want him touching anything to give us a "better" photograph. It was hard for him to understand our point since he said "everybody wants good pictures". After a second long chat, he stopped. We dove Lembeh one day for an extra cost, which you won't need to do because you're going there. All in all, only good comments from our group of 20. Same group is doing Palau and Chuuk this year (Nov-Dec). Did you do a trip report from your trip? Would welcome your thoughts on your trip there.

Rob

That's good information about Gangga Island Resort, I appreciate it.
I have not done a trip report as I am still trying to get over the jet lag from the trip. It really kicked our butt this time and we have been back for a week now. In a nut shell, we stayed at Truk Stop (New Micronesian Suites is a must) and would stay there again. We also dove with them except one day at Blue Lagoon, which we preferred but Truk Stop is supposedly getting a new boat in a few month, that would be a major improvement. Palau, we stayed at Palau Central and dove with PDA and one day with Fish and Fins. Palau Central is highly recommended and PDA aswell.
Back to Lembeh, who can tell me if KBR has really gone downhill?

Curious as to whether or not acid available in rooms 24 hrs or only part of day. Curious about prices without having to book to find out.
I don’t know about the a/c. I assume it’s 24 hours.
I can say for 6 nights, full board, 3 dives/day with a single supplement is about $1200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom