Shark repellent wet suit? Not exactly, but interesting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much study has been given to its statistical effectiveness?

Zero. Could you imagine trying to run an experiment to prove its effectiveness? Two people go in the water, one with regular wetsuit and one with shark repellent wetsuit. Both come out alive, neither even see a shark.

Repeat every day until one gets attacked (would probably take 50 years.) Then repeat until enough attacks have happened to create meaningful statistics (500 years?)

Sharks really don't care what we wear (or don't wear...), they're just not interested in us. It's always funny how people react when I tell them we dive with GW's off of southern California. The look of mild shock and confusion ("are you crazy? how did you survive??") is priceless. Especially when I follow up with "well, of course there's a lot of them in the water with us... but we never see them."

I guess you would test it the same way they tested a cat's ability to survive a fall from 21 stories. Anyone want to guess what happened from the 22nd?

Zero. Could you imagine trying to run an experiment to prove its effectiveness? Two people go in the water, one with regular wetsuit and one with shark repellent wetsuit. Both come out alive, neither even see a shark.

I could see this test as an over-sensationalized episode during shark week.

Reactions: yle
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom