First BPW advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2oo2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

Sorry in advance for another BPW thread but didn't want to jump in on someone else's.
I am looking for some advice on buying my first BPW.

Current set up is
UK Cold Water Diving
12l Faber Steel bottle
7.5 Semi Dry
5mm Hood & Gloves
10kgs of extra lead
6ft 3
97kgs

I am thinking a Finnsub or DTD setup but not sure on the wing size 30lbs or 40lbs. Dont want to have the 40lbs if not needed but may make sence if I get into deco diving with one 10l or 7l alu stage cylinder. But that type of diving would solely be down to one trip a year.

My next question is would people recommend going for the 6mm SS backplate over the 3mm? The reason I am thinking the 6mm is I probably wont need much extra lead and the weight will be on my back.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

The Finnsub 13Kg wing will do up to single 15L steel tank. If you are going to use 18L steel tank, then you should go with the bigger 17Kg wing. The 13Kg should handle one single Alu deco/pony bottle but if you are going to be using it on regular bases, go for the 17kg wing.

The 6mm SS backplate should take some lead off your belt, I'd prefer it for local diving but will be heavy for air travel.

You should verify the information with Finnsub themselves. They are generally good about getting back to customers.

Finnsub has a UK distributor btw, they are good and helpful people from my contact with them but you can also contact the Finnsub company itself for the information.

Thanks BurhanMuntasser, appreciate your reply. I was thinking the 13kg wing also, it would be more streamline. But just want to make sure I have enough lift in case of emergencies etc.

Thanks for the advice I will confirm with Finnsub. I will reach out to Mikesdivestore also they have both 13 & 17 options in stock.

Thanks BurhanMuntasser, appreciate your reply. I was thinking the 13kg wing also, it would be more streamline. But just want to make sure I have enough lift in case of emergencies etc.

Thanks for the advice I will confirm with Finnsub. I will reach out to Mikesdivestore also they have both 13 & 17 options in stock.

For answering your questions, I'd reach out for Finnsub in CZ or their distributor in the UK not Mikesdivestore. Mikesdivestore for purchase but not for answering your question. I didn't get a good feeling that they are "experts" in these matters through my brief contact with Mikes store.

My vote would be a 6mm stainless plate any brand whatever you can get for the lowest cost, check ebay or locally for a used one. Lets be honest if your an average size person pretty much every major brand of backplate is the exact same and you will not feel a difference in any of them so save some $$$$ and find something on sale or used.

For wing 30lbs lift is plenty big for a single tank. You dont need a huge parachute flopping around behind you has you dive. If you are adding 10kg of lead on top of steel tank then you already have sinking issues so why would you need 40lbs of floating power. I am partial to Apeks and Diverite wings but really for single tank diving all the major brands have the same thing some just locate the infiltrator centered or offset and some have little bit different wing shape but if you can find something on sale then that is your best bet.

The lift of a BCD should be calibrated for normal usage, not for emergency. In emergency, you dump some or all of your lead...
The lift should cover the buoyancy excursion between max depth with cylinder(s) full and 3m depth for deco with cylinders almost empty. Then get 3-4 kg of additional lift "for safety", but not more.
I dive at maximum with 10+10 liters twin, at 200 bar (4000 liters total, so 5 kg of weight difference between full and empty).
My suit looses other 3-4 kg going at depth. So theoretically I could be OK with 8-9 kg lift. But my BCD has a lift of 13 kg, which is just perfect.

after doing similar researches I went for the 17kg you can use this: Optimal Buoyancy Computer

it helped me make up my mind but what I understood is, with a thick wet suit, you have to balance between wing size and ditchable lead. however I'm far from being an expert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom