Leaving Mexico with batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We just boarded United in Cancun. We were required to put all lithium batteries, both spares AND those installed in devices, in carry-on. So all my lights for photography in caves had to be moved to carry-on. At security my carry-ons rang every bell they had, and they swabbed and looked at everything. No issue with the numbers, and they did not open the lights....just looked at the front if each to see the leds and lens. This is NOT what we expected from studying the Mexican rules beforehand.

I'm surprised you are surprised by this. This has been the norm for quite sometime....I fly every 2 or 3 weeks and have been doing so for the last 7 years. I can't remember when folks were NOT asked about any lithium ion batteries in bags.

I’ve had all ny batteries in my carry on for all my trips since I don’t know when. The only exception is the battery in my AI transmitter since my regulator goes in checked baggage and I’m not particularly keen on removing the transmitter from the regulator. I wonder when someone is going to kick up a fuss about that little battery.

I'm surprised you are surprised by this. This has been the norm for quite sometime....I fly every 2 or 3 weeks and have been doing so for the last 7 years. I can't remember when folks were NOT asked about any lithium ion batteries in bags.
The US rules, and the various forums, say that lithium batteries installed in devices are OK in checked luggage. The issue is spare batteries....but the interpretation today was ALL lithiums, installed or not, go in carry-on.

Mexico finally joined the rest of the world in putting Li ion in carry on. For a couple of years we would have to move them once in the states if we had a domestic flight after entering the country. It was weird but Mexico required batteries to be in checked on outbound flights.

The problem it two fold. First - when it’s 24 hours before flying and it’s time to “check in” are you carrying any dangers goods the answer would be yes because if your loose batteries. Now you can’t get a boarding pass because you have dangerous goods. So you need to go to the counter to see an agent. Show them your loose batteries (I keep mine in a small container for left overs) and they will instruct you as to where they should be stored. A few months ago we flew Calgary to Cancun and they wanted them in checked baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom