Buoyancy I’m confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My back plate weights 9lbs it’s a heavy one. Rest is on the belt. So I had 21 total. That’s what shocked me. No bcd it’s just a harness. So it’s just the suit and my body that needs to be dealt with.

So I’m guessing with that setup I would need another 5 for salt. That’s 26. Just crazy weight

In all honesty I wonder if being gassy effects buoyancy.

Not saying that you are. Just a general observation.

I may have missed it but what thermal were you using before and how much added weight with that? If you are needing more weight than with your previous thermal it may be because the Mako is actually providing 5 mm of neoprene protection vs your old suit.

And 9 lbs plate, that’s a very heavy plate even for steel. Seems obvious but are you certain about this?

FWIW, when I dive the Mako 5 I need 12 to 13 lbs added weight (petite female). Plus my rig is about 4 lbs negative.

@MAKO Spearguns Any thoughts?

It’s 9. I bought that plate just for cold diving to move weight off my belt

I just had my hopes up that I was going to slap 2 lbs on my belt
:) Nope. Unfortunately better/more thermal = more weight needed.

I did take my belt off at the end and was able to float on my back. Could have floated all day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom