Stress tests for OW/AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MightyDuck

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

Some of my local dive stores (in Hungary, Europe, diving mostly in Mediterranean and Red sea) sometimes makes a little stress test sessions for mainly OW/AOW (anybody can come who OW as minimum, but it’s definietly not for DM-candidates) divers which looks pretty awesome for me (Been twice.), but never heard anything on the internet about this kind of sessions. (Again, I’m not talming about DM-stress test. :) )
It used to be held in a 4m (about 12 foot) deep pool.
There is two types which I’ve met:
1.) The first is quite similar to DM-tests: hardest things are swim down to bottom of the 2 meter pool without anything (no mask, no fins, nothing), open the bottle, and suit up into full equipment and while breathing from a single 2nd stage (buddy breathing) exchange masks and fins.

2.) I found the second type more useful. It starts lile a regular dive, pairs form up, get into equipment, check each other and just swim around. The things is there are a few DM/DI who acts like pretty naughty fairies. First of all after we have have put together equipment, but before we suit up, there is a little briefing under which some faults just occurs from nowhere: inflator tubes disconnects, air valves are closed, dump valves are got disassemled, etc. Next thing is buddy-check which quite often misses these problems, every time there is a few diver who gets under water with some problem.
The next phase is when we (the victims) just swiming around while the sharks... err... the DMs sometimes just ripping out our regulators (sometimes they get ahold of it, so instead of searching you have to change to octopus), closing our water (you’ll learn really fast that you buddy have to be there, not the opposite side of the whole ocean), stealing some masks (find it or change to spare), stealing fins and weight belts/integrated weights or just pumping your BCD full with air.
Basicaly it’s all part of the OW course, but you’ll never learn till you have to handle it unexpectedly, and I found it more useful this then the first one.

Is this stress test truly this rare or just I wasn’t capable to find anything about it? :)

Apparently something similar used to be done during scuba classes in the US, I’ve read elsewhere here on SB, but it wasn’t officially sanctioned and apparently someone died as a result at US university.

It sounds like a bad idea, and hasn't been done in the U.S., outside of military hazing perhaps, for years.

It sounds like a bad idea, and hasn't been done in the U.S., outside of military hazing perhaps, for years.
Could you elaborate why think it's bad?
It's all that kind of unexpected things which could happen in open water (or things which can ruled out via a proper (!) buddy-check before jumping into water), and it seems far-far better to practice them in 3-4 meter deep confined water and not have to have your first time at around 20-30 meters deep with some random instabuddy.

(And yeah, of course everybuddy has changed masks, searched for regulators, experienced out-of-air situations for about 5 sec in OW class, but there is a fairly big difference between an expected, well-organized task and an almost-real, almost-totally-unexpected thing.)

I haven’t heard of anything like that outside of military circles and the early days of scuba....probably too many sue happy layers in the US for that to be a common thing.

But honestly sounds like a good time to me.... ide totally be up for that

The only time I've experienced something like this was during my Rescue course.

Definitely not for OW in my opinion

I'm not saying I like the idea, but it MAY be OK for an OW student who is very comfortable in water to begin with (as I sing that same old tune). But, many OW students have way too little "water" experience and comfortability IMO for this to have any place in the OW course of today (at least at the shop where I assisted for sure).
Not advisable to steal the mask off someone in the pool deep end who maybe is in water over his/her head for the first time. And may bicycle kick in order to retrieve it.

I had similar stress testing in a YMCA like course in college in 89.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom