newbie - need to ID a Tank make/model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pglenn

New
Reaction score
I was given 3 tanks to sell for a friend, with no idea of the make/model of the tanks. There are several sets of numbers/letters on each. I have ID'd TC-3ALM207 on each but dont know where to find the make/model, there is no sticker with that info, and I dont know what the other numbers are. help???

Patrick

Take some pictures of all the markings and post and people will be able to identify them for you.

the tank is Luxfer..
numbers on the tank
- luxfer 08a93
- al3000 s-80
- p157255
Without seeing pictures, that reads to me as;

luxfer 08a93 = luxfer is the brand, Aug 1993 is the manufacture date.
AL3000 s-80 = DOT 3AL3000 300psi aluminum tank, s-80 is an aluminum 80cf tank
Last bit is probably a serial number.

I believe that may be in the bad alloy year ranges for aluminum tanks, and many shops won't fill old aluminum's regardless of alloy.

Respectfully,

James

Without seeing pictures, that reads to me as;

luxfer 08a93 = luxfer is the brand, Aug 1993 is the manufacture date.
AL3000 s-80 = DOT 3AL3000 300psi aluminum tank, s-80 is an aluminum 80cf tank
Last bit is probably a serial number.

I believe that may be in the bad alloy year ranges for aluminum tanks, and many shops won't fill old aluminum's regardless of alloy.

Respectfully,

James

A cylinder manufactured in 1993 is unlikely to be made from 6351 aluminum alloy as its use was supposedly discontinued in the diving industry in the USA in 1988/1989.

OP, look for the following number markings, if your aluminum cylinder(s) does not bear one of these numbers then your cylinder should be ok:
DOT SP6498
DOT E6498
DOT E7042
DOT E8107
DOT E8364
DOT E8422

@James79 is correct though, more and more shops are refusing to fill aluminum cylinders over 20 years old regardless of the type of alloy used in fabrication.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom