Safety precautions on shore ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcg69, AB also has bins to keep your gear in, so no need to bring mesh bags to haul your BC, fins, suit etc. Just ask while at the dive shop. No one has bothered my tanks or the bin while out diving. Also, as tkaelin pointed out, get some 1 or 2 liter bottles and fill with water each day, leave in the back of truck for freshwater rinse. Watch out, they can get very hot!

Nobody is going to steal tanks, ever (unless i'm out:wink: ).

Seriously, tanks are safe and only leave things you don't care if they are gone.

We bring an old collapsible cooler with a few soda's, some water bottles frozen to keep things cool, some 2 liter bottles filled with tapwater in the bed for a warm shower and washing feet and old tee shirt for coverup, old flip flops....

If they are there when we get back, great, if not, no big deal.

Leave door unlocked and windows down.

Only had some old flip flops taken some 15 years ago.

They must have needed them more than me.

Stinapa has been running around more in recent history checking for the marine park tag every diver needs. This probably has had the unintended benefit of reducing some of the petty theft that you might have read about. We've been going to Bonaire at least once a year for the last several and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). Don't leave anything of value visible and enjoy the diving! A "sentry" would be a waste of somebody's valuable dive time.

As others have said, don't lock the truck, windows stay down, tanks are fine as they won't be messed with, no big valuables in the truck and you will be fine.

Never had a problem there, been three times. Don't leave cameras and such in the truck, and you shouldn't have a problem. It's not the Dominican.... :)

The biggest problem i have is keeping the FOB on the truck dry!

As stated above, leave nothing of value in vehicle; no worries.
I'm on Bonaire now, using AB Car Rental/Dive. I will add that, although they only have 1 location to pick up tanks, they have been very good with allowing me to take as many tanks as I wish. As they said: "You have unlimited air package so take as many as you want." So I've been running with 4 tanks (Solo), and they have free Nitrox. It has never been a problem going to get more tanks, the island is small and very easy to navigate.
Enjoy!
@Gray Diver how are the fills at AB? We are renting tanks from them this summer.

Tanks are no problem.
Just don't leave anything in the car. Just a towel and water.

They stole my shorts while I was night diving :p
But jeah that's the worst that can happen I guess...

We had a cheap mobile phone in a dry container, so we could be able to call for help, if we need to.. I recommend you do the same.
If the car doesn't start after a night dive, or an diving emergency, I don't want to miss it.

Theft from rental trucks happens, but it's more rare than you might think from reading the reports here, on Tripadvisor, etc. Someone just today posted an account of a theft of the truck's spare tire: Bonaire -- Spare Tire Stolen From Truck at Something Special Very rare, but apparently it can happen. Just relax and follow the general advice people have given here--no need to have a sentinel keep watch. Oh, and try to have good insurance.

@Gray Diver how are the fills at AB? We are renting tanks from them this summer.

Keesmon, AB was good, running around 3100PSI, free nitrox upgrade. They had a filter issue when I got there, Nitrox was running around 30%, but was 31.5 on Sat for my last fill. Still a little lite but it was going up. Plus if you do air and truck rental from them they give a 10% discount on truck, which they also applied to my air package!
I liked them, staff was always helpful and chatty. I'd use them again next time.

Back
Top Bottom