How useful is AOW for Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be mistaken but I think OW can now do night dives..
FWIW, I only have OW certification and I do at least one night dive on every trip to Cozumel, sometimes three or four, going back more than 20 years. I have never been barred from going on any dive I want to because I don't have AOW. "Advanced" is a misnomer, especially for a diver with 20 or so total dives. Maybe the cert should be called "OW2" or "OW+".

SSI, I think has a better AOW program than PADI in that you have to complete 4 specialties and many dives, not just one dive of each but.......

^^^ THIS ^^^

not trying to toot the SSI horn and say it is "better" than padi, but the above comment is true. many new divers do understand the differences between agency certs. heck, many experienced divers don't either. haha it takes much more training to achieve the ssi adv level than the padi adv level.

ps....i completed both

FWIW, I only have OW certification and I do at least one night dive on every trip to Cozumel, sometimes three or four, going back more than 20 years. I have never been barred from going on any dive I want to because I don't have AOW. "Advanced" is a misnomer, especially for a diver with 20 or so total dives. Maybe the cert should be called "OW2" or "OW+".

Exactly. Even though you don't have an AOW card, the DM sees how you dive and then is willing to take you to all the sites that the DM believes suit your ability.

Card or no card, if you don't have the ability/experience to dive a particular site, the DM would be wise to not take you there.

Got mine in about 1976. :yeahbaby:
Think I still have it rat-holed away somewhere. If I want proof that I'm not exempt from the aging process, I'll find it.

You should go deeper more often. Good to get good and narc'd now and then.
Have a 100' max now due to an implant in my head. Aging sucks and the best lion fish for eating are now deeper.

Sorry - I haven't read all of the replies, but the AOW course is one of the most misunderstood courses there are.
  1. It IS NOT an advanced SKILLS course - it is merely an extension of OW which INTRODUCES you to the various specialties. The tasks and exercises in this course used to be part of OW, but it was broken down many years ago.
  2. In NO WAY shape or form does merely completing this course make anyone an "ADVANCED" diver. DO NOT let the name of the course fool you. ONLY regular EXPERIENCE in a variety of conditions can qualify one as an "advanced" diver.
  3. This course was actually DESIGNED to be taken immediately upon completion of OW to give the student additional time in the water and experience with an instructor before being "thrown to the sharks" - again, there is nothing "advanced" about this course.
  4. Merely holding or not holding an AOW card should not automatically open up or disqualify anyone from doing specific dives. There are OW divers out there who have far more experience and skill as a diver than even many instuctors I've seen. PADI has dumbed it down so much it disgusts me. Someone can literally take the "zero to hero" path and go from OW to Instructor in about 3 months - and that's how the "Dive Schools" do it - scary stuff if you ask me!
  5. OW does not limit you to 60 feet. The depth "restrictions" in ALL courses are there for STUDENT divers. Once you're certified, it is recommended that you don't dive beyond your comfort or training level. For example, 80 feet in the clear Caribbean waters is a MUCH different situation that 80 feet or even 60 feet in a cold dark lake. So keep things in perspective, especially if you are on a guided dive as required in Cozumel. It's in no one's interest to take you on a dive you're not qualified for, but taking you to 80 feet in clear water with minimal to no current is not something to panic about.
I laugh at people who want to pound their chest or believe they should receive special considerations because they are "instructors" and then I see that they've logged 150 dives - I put them in their place by letting them know I only need to know they are OW certified (or Nitrox if they plan to dive Nitrox) - your collection of certification cards in most cases doesn't interest me or any other dive operator. Our philosophy is "show us, don't tell us." Until we've seen you in the water, everyone is on the same level as far as we are concerned and any true professional respects this.

^^^ mic drop

^^^ THIS ^^^

not trying to toot the SSI horn and say it is "better" than padi, but the above comment is true. many new divers do understand the differences between agency certs. heck, many experienced divers don't either. haha it takes much more training to achieve the ssi adv level than the padi adv level.

ps....i completed both

SDI does the same as SSI.

i was not excluding any other agencies that might offer a similar course. i only responded as the poster i quoted mentioned ssi vs. padi.

I laugh at people who want to pound their chest or believe they should receive special considerations because they are "instructors" and then I see that they've logged 150 dives - I put them in their place by letting them know I only need to know they are OW certified (or Nitrox if they plan to dive Nitrox) - your collection of certification cards in most cases doesn't interest me or any other dive operator. Our philosophy is "show us, don't tell us." Until we've seen you in the water, everyone is on the same level as far as we are concerned and any true professional respects this.

Bravo Christi! BRAVO!

Back
Top Bottom