New to Diving- Uncertified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok awesome! I will look at both for sure and I can rent the other things as needed! I’ll get some experience under my belt. Would hate to buy things I don’t like and waste money. Thank you!

i would wait until after youve taken the class to buy equipment.

they will have you try some different gear and youll be able to get some first hand experience and get some insight from your instructor as to what to buy.

after certification, my first purchase was a wetsuit.....renting a wetsuit is honestly kinda gross, and i got my own ASAP.

then i would invest in a computer

after that i would recommend getting your own Regulators.

then i would look into a BCD

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor...why fly anywhere you have all the different type of diving you can handle in your state...just check with your local dive shop.

Congratulations. You're going to have a blast.

I found it extremely valuable to train with the gear I purchased to pursue this hobby. I started with Regulator and BCD, followed quickly by wetsuit. I prefer not to stick a rental regulator in my mouth or wear a well used wet suit. Heck, I even bought my own HP80's and soft weights.

YMMV

We all buy a bit of something and don't get on with it. My 'something' at the moment is octopus clips. At least they're cheap! I will find one that I like...

OP, I hope you enjoy your course and begin to see how you want to progress.

I agree with the obvious -- reg & BCD. Weights, belt (suspenders? harness?), especially if you play local dives.
Computer -- probably, if you plan deeper or multi level dives-- otherwise $25 watch (waterproof to 300' or so) & tables are fine.
Computers range a lot in price. I have always found bottom line to be fine for me. Nitrox capable. My current one is the Mares Puck.
Wetsuit -- water temperature & cold tolerance considered.
Which to buy first is an often asked question. Buy what you can afford right away--the stuff you'll need.
My bad, I forgot tanks. Really a must if diving locally-- no having to return rented ones to a shop by a particular time/date (like tomorrow).

We all buy a bit of something and don't get on with it. My 'something' at the moment is octopus clips. At least they're cheap! I will find one that I like...
I tie a loop of bungee cord to a bolt snap..... mouthpiece of the octo is held securely in the bungee, and I just boltsnap it to my BC... holds securely and pulls right out

I tie a loop of bungee cord to a bolt snap..... mouthpiece of the octo is held securely in the bungee, and I just boltsnap it to my BC... holds securely and pulls right out
A bit off track, but I bungee the primary mouthpiece into my mouth should I ever go unconscious. Even with a buddy, this gives me a feeling of security.

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor...why fly anywhere you have all the different type of diving you can handle in your state...just check with your local dive shop.

Thanks! Any recommended beginner spots near??

Congratulations. You're going to have a blast.

I found it extremely valuable to train with the gear I purchased to pursue this hobby. I started with Regulator and BCD, followed quickly by wetsuit. I prefer not to stick a rental regulator in my mouth or wear a well used wet suit. Heck, I even bought my own HP80's and soft weights.

YMMV

Any recommended brands?

I agree with the obvious -- reg & BCD. Weights, belt (suspenders? harness?), especially if you play local dives.
Computer -- probably, if you plan deeper or multi level dives-- otherwise $25 watch (waterproof to 300' or so) & tables are fine.
Computers range a lot in price. I have always found bottom line to be fine for me. Nitrox capable. My current one is the Mares Puck.
Wetsuit -- water temperature & cold tolerance considered.
Which to buy first is an often asked question. Buy what you can afford right away--the stuff you'll need.

thank you for your response! Would you recommend taking the Nitrox cert for an extra $100?

can’t wait!

Back
Top Bottom