Bonaire -- Spare Tire Stolen From Truck at Something Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Friends, just got back from a delightful trip to Bonaire. I will post a detailed trip report later, but in the meantime, just wanted to share that while I was doing a night dive at Something Special, someone made off with the spare tire under my rental pickup truck. I had parked right at the corner where the road turns left towards the boardwalk. Lots of people were milling about when we got into the water, but it was quite deserted while we got out. We know that the tire was stolen at that time because the evildoer(s) left the chain that helps secure the tire dangling loose. Budget charged me $150 for the stolen tire when I returned the truck. I had relied on my Costco VISA for insurance, which supposedly covers damage and theft, but when I called to file a claim, they said that the theft coverage was for the whole vehicle being stolen, not for parts or equipment, and that a claim for a stolen spare tire would be summarily denied. I pointed out that there was no explicit exclusion for stolen tires, and they said that there was no explicit inclusion for it, either. So, I am the new owner of a $150 anecdote. Next time I'll be sure to torch the entire vehicle and push it into the sea so that they'll cover the stolen tire.

Friends, just got back from a delightful trip to Bonaire. I will post a detailed trip report later, but in the meantime, just wanted to share that while I was doing a night dive at Something Special, someone made off with the spare tire under my rental pickup truck. I had parked right at the corner where the road turns left towards the boardwalk. Lots of people were milling about when we got into the water, but it was quite deserted while we got out. We know that the tire was stolen at that time because the evildoer(s) left the chain that helps secure the tire dangling loose. Budget charged me $150 for the stolen tire when I returned the truck. I had relied on my Costco VISA for insurance, which supposedly covers damage and theft, but when I called to file a claim, they said that the theft coverage was for the whole vehicle being stolen, not for parts or equipment, and that a claim for a stolen spare tire would be summarily denied. I pointed out that there was no explicit exclusion for stolen tires, and they said that there was no explicit inclusion for it, either. So, I am the new owner of a $150 anecdote. Next time I'll be sure to torch the entire vehicle and push it into the sea so that they'll cover the stolen tire.

Don't quit trying. Continue to pursue this with the insurance company.

You could also check out
"Ask Elliot". They might be able to help

I hope it was reported to the police too even if they don't care.

. . . I pointed out that there was no explicit exclusion for stolen tires, and they said that there was no explicit inclusion for it, either. . . .

I agree with Chilly. I have long been under the belief that if it wasn't excluded, it's included, not the other way around. In other words, I think the presumption is on your side, and they have the legal burden of rebutting the presumption if it were to go to court or arbitration or whatever.

I agree with Chilly. I have long been under the belief that if it wasn't excluded, it's included, not the other way around. In other words, I think the presumption is on your side, and they have the legal burden of rebutting the presumption if it were to go to court or arbitration or whatever.

Under Dutch law?

Under Dutch law?

His insurance isn't under Dutch law?

His insurance isn't under Dutch law?

This part: "I think the presumption is on your side, and they have the legal burden of rebutting the presumption if it were to go to court or arbitration or whatever."

Dutch insurance law may differ from US insurance law. That's all I'm saying...

This part: "I think the presumption is on your side, and they have the legal burden of rebutting the presumption if it were to go to court or arbitration or whatever."

Dutch insurance law may differ from US insurance law. That's all I'm saying...

OP has Costco VISA insurance. Reasonably sure that's US law

Hmm.. was it fully inflated and not a donut? I wonder if it would have floated. Next time, remove the tire pre-dive and test it in the surf zone. If it floats, tie a spool to it and tow it with you like a dive flag. If it sinks you could either leave it submerged and pick it up on your way back or attach a lift bag or SMB to it and then tow it. Did you leave the truck unlocked and the windows down? If so you may want to do this with anything under the hood that is easily removable as well. Packing tip for Bonaire - bring lots of lift bags.

Back
Top Bottom