Caribbean earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This could be really bad for Grand Cayman if a Tsunami does develop. I remember reading an article shortly after I visited about how most of the island is barely above sea level. Not much high ground to retreat to...

Could be worse for Little Cayman and Brac. Was reportedly 80 miles ESE of Brac and all of the resorts on Brac and CB are on the south side of the islands. On GC, most of the resorts and SMB are on the west side and will at least be somewhat sheltered

Some of my dive group is on GC (West-side) now. I just heard, they felt the quake and that the beaches have been cleared.

LCBR posted on Facebook -

"We very much appreciate everyone's concern about the earthquake this afternoon. We did some rocking and rolling, and the pots and pans at Cayman Brac Beach Resort made a good bit of noise in the kitchen as they fell. But we are all fine and moving forward with business as usual. Management will advise if there are any services temporarily affected."

From the articles sounds like there were more problems on Grand. But there's lots more there for stuff to happen to.

Hi everyone,

Having never been in an earthquake before, that was quite intense! We were watching our office walls move, and things fall down. Everyone ran outside. The tsunami warning went out, and then some panic on the island began as people went to pick up their kids, or go to their homes. The police made us move some boats that were in Morgans Harbor. But the warning came and went without incident and all is well. Aside from some broken sewer lines, and sinkholes in some random places.

Tony

Interesting development... can’t imagine being in an overhead situation diving in that moment yikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom