Building a reg for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a "do as I say, not as I do"
This made me laugh! Except for Poseidon, Frankenregs are just fine. Learning to rebuild your regs is a good step. HOG is another manufacturer that encourages the end user to rebuild their regs.

This made me laugh! Except for Poseidon, Frankenregs are just fine. Learning to rebuild your regs is a good step. HOG is another manufacturer that encourages the end user to rebuild their regs.

Knock it off smarty.....When and if I were to be forced to travel with a single hose it would be a short list of diaphragm 1st stages and a BA 109 or G250. With the spare parts I could carry in my shirt pocket I could dive the globe for a decade or more :) :)

only the Cyklon ;-) The Jetstream and Xstream can run fine at "normal" regulator IP's, and "normal" second stages can be tuned to run at 125psi with no issues at all

only the Cyklon ;-) The Jetstream and Xstream can run fine at "normal" regulator IP's, and "normal" second stages can be tuned to run at 125psi with no issues at all
But, you don't like them thar Frankenregs! :D :D :D

As a caveat, if I'm resurrecting a reg set, I don't mind mix'n'match. If I'm buying new, I just buy them from the same place. HOWEVER, always make sure the safe second is equal to or better than your primary second. The tendency to buy a lesser reg for your buddy is myopic at best. You need great performing regs when they're both sucking off the same first stage.

But, you don't like them thar Frankenregs! :D :D :D

As a caveat, if I'm resurrecting a reg set, I don't mind mix'n'match. If I'm buying new, I just buy them from the same place. HOWEVER, always make sure the safe second is equal to or better than your primary second. The tendency to buy a lesser reg for your buddy is myopic at best. You need great performing regs when they're both sucking off the same first stage.

agreed. Mine are frankenregs for weird reasons, but it's definitely not the best option.

For @NTJB I dive Poseidon seconds on MK25 firsts, and 156/balanced adjustable seconds on Poseidon firsts. I prefer the Poseidon second stages, but needed 5-port turrets for diving doubles, and prefer them for sidemount and single tank diving. I got a bunch of MK25's for dirt cheap which is quite literally the only reason I use them. Quite cheap being under $100 each with a fresh rebuild, new piston, and O2 clean. I use the Poseidon firsts on deco/stage bottles because they have integrated OPV's, are small, and I have a BUNCH of them. I use the metal seconds because I think they look cool and were cheap.
If I actually had to buy new regulators, I'd buy Deep6 Signatures and call it a day. Lowest total cost of ownership of any reg on the market, easy to self-service with only 1 regulator specific tool *pin spanner*, and top of the line performance. Can't beat that with a stick.

Can't beat that with a stick.
Cuz their warranty doesn't cover beatings with sticks. :D

That pin wrench isn't reg specific.

If I actually had to buy new regulators, I'd buy Deep6 Signatures and call it a day. Lowest total cost of ownership of any reg on the market, easy to self-service with only 1 regulator specific tool *pin spanner*, and top of the line performance. Can't beat that with a stick.

I / We have been working on this for years but no final product yet. Kudos to the Deep6 guys for doing what you do and leading the charge!

Cuz their warranty doesn't cover beatings with sticks. :D

That pin wrench isn't reg specific.

I meant outside of things like allen keys, o-ring picks, and an IP gauge that every diver should have anyway. You don't normally carry a pin-spanner around unless you're taking diaphragm regulators apart, or even own one. I remember when I first started diving a decade ish ago and borrowed one from @herman when I first learned to service my Apeks regs. I had everything else, but that was the one tool I didn't have, but needed. I now have several others that make servicing those regs easier/faster, but it wasn't needed.

@Bryan@Vintage Double Hose I know... That said your regs are at close to 200 dives and being immensely boring, they haven't done anything fun yet...

Back
Top Bottom