VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20200126_111301.jpg
20200126_111301.jpg

read the bottom line of the factory label above the green and the network address wwhere It is BOLD PRiNTED with INFORMATION: STARTING THE LINE
CFR's require compliance with CGA documents. GCA documents control what a vis is, CFR's have force of law. So vips are government controlled / regulated with force of law.

Sincere apologies.

Yes, I've dealt with endless CFR's during my working life. They are a good place to start. However, Homepage - Compressed Gas Association is better, (IMHO). @abnfrog touched on all this and compared/contrasted his TDISDI VIP Inspector course to PSI's offering. No personal bias either. He said we might want to pay the big bucks and take the PSI course if interested just to answer any questions about differences. I've considered it...
I am a PSI certified guy. Not preticularly biased to them but the process is a good one. As far as I know they are the ONLY ones that have made a course on thier own. Ther rest have taken PSI's material and rcreated their course from it. I will not say I agree with all PSI requires BUT....... MY COURSE STARTED WITH. The course is designed to help insure you are NOT held liable for a tank related incident. They teach the process using all CFR's and materials such that if you comply with them and are sued you hav eteh documentation to show your process and can to a jury substantuate teh VIS you preformed was done correctly based on your documantation and provable work practices. I think that taking the PSI class may not be benificial per sse' but it will give yo ua second insight of what is involved to keep you but covered. It includes hazmat TRIAINING. PRESURE IS haz mat SO SCUBA TANKS ARE hazmat. HAZMAT TRAINING IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE cfr REQUIREMENTS EACH 3 YEARS though unless changed the vip process is not. but they are tied together so as to insure proceedures are brought up to date as [part of the vip refresher.

Your point is taken. CGA sets the standards, CFR's rubber stamp them into law. So who is the enforcement arm of this triad?
That is the loop hole no one is enforcing them. any check comes when it hits the court after an accident investigation. PSI supposedly is involved with all accidents involving compressed container operations.

Well, it seems there is some conflicting information about us, and I've read a few pages, and don't feel like going thru the other 25.

So, Marie13, who is local to us took the VIP course, and seems to be off base a little on her understading of our stance eventhough 2 people, including myself, have explained it..

Yes, if you come in with a Generic VIP sticker, with no Instructor or Shop name or Certification number on it, we do ask for the paperwork to show it was completed. What is wrong with that? We've had numerous people not do the VIPs, and just throw a sticker on them when they weren't even an inspector. This is to protect our people and keep them safe when filling, especially when it comes to O2!

I'm sorry that she has blown this out of proportion and our stance on it. It's a safety precaution, and it works very well. We've even done FREE Vips when people were in a jam,and couldn't provide it. It's more about education, and safety vs. a hardline stance and its' worked very well! Not a single person has ever been turned away, and that was told to Marie13. She was also told that some shops could have a harder line stance, and there were others in the area that had the same stance and to always just have the paperwork with her, or a pic on her phone to show it was completed if needed as all shops are different.

We even offer those that have their VIP rating, to come in and use our tools and have our guys check when done if they feel more comfortable. They can even get new o-rings, a sticker, and a fill for only $5. All because we are trying to help them if it's something they only do once a year so they are comfortable and don't skip steps. Again, education.

If there is a name, or identifying person,shop, or cert #, then it's all good and nothing is needed. It's just the generic stickers that we ask for proof it was completed, to keep our staff safe.

If I missed something else in the 27 pages about us, feel free to refresh it and say it here for an answer. But, that's our stance, and why it comes about.

Unlike Marie 13 thinks, our policy has been this way for 11 years, unchanged, and thru the times that we helped write the SDI/TDI standards for VIP tanks. I can't help what people say about us, or our policies that is untrue. I would think the majority of you, would know better of us! Some of what she has said, is completely untrue and twisted completely out of context from what was explained.

Well, it seems there is some conflicting information about us, and I've read a few pages, and don't feel like going thru the other 25.

So, Marie13, who is local to us took the VIP course, and seems to be off base a little on her understading of our stance eventhough 2 people, including myself, have explained it..

Yes, if you come in with a Generic VIP sticker, with no Instructor or Shop name or Certification number on it, we do ask for the paperwork to show it was completed. What is wrong with that? We've had numerous people not do the VIPs, and just throw a sticker on them when they weren't even an inspector. This is to protect our people and keep them safe when filling, especially when it comes to O2!

I'm sorry that she has blown this out of proportion and our stance on it. It's a safety precaution, and it works very well. We've even done FREE Vips when people were in a jam,and couldn't provide it. It's more about education, and safety vs. a hardline stance and its' worked very well! Not a single person has ever been turned away, and that was told to Marie13. She was also told that some shops could have a harder line stance, and there were others in the area that had the same stance and to always just have the paperwork with her, or a pic on her phone to show it was completed if needed as all shops are different.

We even offer those that have their VIP rating, to come in and use our tools and have our guys check when done if they feel more comfortable. They can even get new o-rings, a sticker, and a fill for only $5. All because we are trying to help them if it's something they only do once a year so they are comfortable and don't skip steps. Again, education.

If there is a name, or identifying person,shop, or cert #, then it's all good and nothing is needed. It's just the generic stickers that we ask for proof it was completed, to keep our staff safe.

If I missed something else in the 27 pages about us, feel free to refresh it and say it here for an answer. But, that's our stance, and why it comes about.

Unlike Marie 13 thinks, our policy has been this way for 11 years, unchanged, and thru the times that we helped write the SDI/TDI standards for VIP tanks. I can't help what people say about us, or our policies that is untrue. I would think the majority of you, would know better of us! Some of what she has said, is completely untrue and twisted completely out of context from what was explained.

@Marie13 's primary complaint is that she feels the information shown on the website does not include everything in the policy detailed above.

You can see her post here - VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

A lot of other people are butthurt about that fact that shops don't just blindly accept all VIP stickers, generic or not.

As for other shops, we do take their stickers and generic ones. That's not a problem, but, we need proof it was done (if generic and no identifier is on the sticker of who did it) and the stickers weren't just bought off Amazon. I don't think that's a ridiculous request to keep our guys safe. The reason it came about, was and O2 cleaning issue, and we've had them almost every year. So, the policy is good for us.
Like I said, we've never turned anyone away, and done VIPs for free to help people and educate them.

“unless you are the inspector” are the key words in question. It appears that phrase needs to be removed.

15A57A70-EAE9-4C93-85A4-7DEA4D49AD05.jpeg

“unless you are the inspector” are the key words in question. It appears that phrase needs to be removed.

View attachment 564808
Why does it need to be changed? If you are the inspector, I don't need to see your paperwork, just your card. We did your class, we know you have it. I'm not sure why I would need to change something that you misunderstood. The policy is right there, you circled it, that's our policy. Nothing changed, it's in print.....what's so hard about it?

Back
Top Bottom