Basic Lake Tahoe Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my wife's best friend has never been to Lake Tahoe. She wants to go there for her birthday in early May, and I will likely be dragged along because the gals like to hang out together, and I'm the only one who can make her husband behave beyond direct line-of-sight female supervision.

All three of the others are non-divers. I'm holding firm in my demand that I won't go unless I get two days of diving. This negotiation strategy worked in the past when we traveled with this couple to the Big Island and to the Mexican Riviera, so I think it's safe for me to start researching Tahoe diving.

All I know about Lake Tahoe is that it's more than a mile above sea level, it's extremely deep, and it's very cold. I've never dove at elevation, never gone deeper than recreation limits, and seldom been in water less than 65 degrees F.

My initial questions are:

Is the PADI altitude diving specialty course worth taking on this trip or before it? Or would it be sufficient to read the chapter on altitude diving in the PADI AOW manual, get smart about the altitude functions on my computer and the eRDP, and do some additional homework (open to suggestions on what to read)?

Would a 7 mm wetsuit with hood be sufficient for recreational-depth dives in early May, or should I take a drysuit course beforehand and plan to rent one? I've read that neoprene has extra buoyancy at elevation--does that mean it also provides more warmth for a given thickness or does that advantage go away as soon as you descend and the water starts compressing it?

If you had only two days to dive there and you're likely never to have the chance to go back--and you're not a technical or drysuit diver--what dive sites would be at the top of your list?

Are there any dive shops or clubs you particularly recommend at Lake Tahoe?

I would gratefully welcome any additional information or advice.

Regards,
Scraps
(so nicknamed because I'm very helpful at getting rid of leftovers)

Is the PADI altitude diving specialty course worth taking on this trip or before it? Or would it be sufficient to read the chapter on altitude diving in the PADI AOW manual, get smart about the altitude functions on my computer and the eRDP, and do some additional homework (open to suggestions on what to read)?

At a very minimum, I would definitely read the manual for altitude. I would say that a lot of this depends on how experienced you are as a diver and who your buddy will be. I've done the specialty and dove Tahoe before having it. Having said that, it's a very useful specialty to do, and only requires two dives. Risk is magnafied at altitude and you are about a 4+ hour drive from a chamber. For dive planing and table purposes, the shore is at at 7,000 feet.

Would a 7 mm wetsuit with hood be sufficient for recreational-depth dives in early May, or should I take a drysuit course beforehand and plan to rent one? I've read that neoprene has extra buoyancy at elevation--does that mean it also provides more warmth for a given thickness or does that advantage go away as soon as you descend and the water starts compressing it?

If you had only two days to dive there and you're likely never to have the chance to go back--and you're not a technical or drysuit diver--what dive sites would be at the top of your list?
This depends on how easily you get cold. Early May will definitely be colder than July or August. I dive there in a 7mm, no hood, but I usually dive that in 50F water. The lake has noticeable thermoclines.

Are there any dive shops or clubs you particularly recommend at Lake Tahoe?
No. The closest dive shop is in Reno, which means going up and down again, so it's tricky when diving. I strongly recommend taking any tanks and equipment up with you. You'll need a dive flag if you're diving on the NV side of the lake, though I recommend taking one anyways.

A few other things to consider:
* You should only do two dives a day at altitude, unless with an instructor.
* Your buoyancy will be different (both because of the fresh water and because of the altitude puffing up your wetsuit)
* Do not go into a hot tub after diving, you're at an increased risk of the bends after diving, an altitude magnifies this
* Arrive to at altitude (and set your computer to altitude) at least 18 hours before diving, and give yourself as much time as possible between finishing diving and leaving because you will need to go up (equivalent to flying) before you can head back to sea level.

Stuff to do:
* Friends and I regularly dive for crawdads and they're usually about 50' or so. We end up going a crawdad boil or something similar that evening.
* Rubicon Wall
* Ski boat wreck at Meeks Bay. This can be difficult to find but it's still a nice place to dive.

No. The closest dive shop is in Reno, which means going up and down again, so it's tricky when diving. I strongly recommend taking any tanks and equipment up with you.

This isn't entirely accurate, or at least wasn't a few months ago. I haven't dove the lake yet, but I've got friends who live in the area. Last time we were up visiting them, I dropped by a shop....*google delay*.....

Tahoe Dive Center in Stateline, NV. Tahoe Dive Center

Small shop, I suggest calling ahead. I walked in just to check the place out. There were a handful of people in and out to pick up rental gear and tanks. There was one person working, very friendly, but not exceptionally knowledgeable. Proudly just a few days off OW certification, very excited about diving, but wasn't able to answer many questions about diving in the area or services/rentals the shop offered. The owner was out diving at the time, and I was urged to call the shop later to have my questions answered. If you get in touch ahead of time, you can likely reserve tanks, possibly any other rental gear you may need.

Like I said, I haven't dove the lake, or actually done business with this shop, so TGIF and others may know something I don't heh.

Dive nitrox if you can. I don't know if the dive shop at Stateline has nitrox. It has been a while since I've dived Tahoe but as of September 2018, no shop nearby (as in Stateline, Truckee, South Lake Tahoe) had nitrox, or at least that I knew about. However, in looking at their site, they offer a nitrox class, but don't have pricing for nitrox fills in the services section....

Classes – Tahoe Dive Center
Service – Tahoe Dive Center

I did not take an altitude class. I did my reading on theoretical vs actual and made sure to double check my computer instructions, re-read my AOW manual, etc.

I run cold and am cold in an 8/7 semidry even in August or September when the water is probably the warmest. I can't imagine what it's like in May! I have had 50 degree water in July and August at depth.

My 2 cents worth... Yes there is a dive shop in South South on the Nevada side...but I'd call them for their off-season hours???
You should expect 50-52 water temps at that time. Naturally, decreasing temps with depth/thermocline.
Dive sites...
* Emerald Bay is great but it is boat access only.
* Meeks Bay is an easy walk-in shore entry accessed through a State Parks Campground, LARGE boulders make a fun dive if you turn to the south after entering.
* D.L. Bliss State park has the Rubicon Wall which is outstanding, near vertical wall that starts at about 60ft and drops off to 800. This is going to be COLD with the thermoclines. It is also a long walk from the parking lot down to the beach.
* Sand Harbor is on the north-east side of the lake and is used by the Reno dive shops for training. Very easy entry, some good boulders and terrain on the point that separates the two beaches. (I prefer the north side beach and entry.)
* Hurricane Bay along the California side near Tahoe City. Good easy beach entry and a chance to find a sunken sailboat at 60ft.

Dive flag required in Nevada waters.

Enjoy,
Jim

If you're going to use Tahoe Diving Center in Stateline, they have boat trips to Emerald Bay. Also reserve your tanks ASAP because when I called 3 weeks in advance for a Saturday (non-Holiday, but summertime) they were already out.
I see groups going out and about 50-75% are in semidry suits and others dive dry.

Some good info above. Also, your ascent rates are slower at 30ft/min max, and safety stops are shallower. If you must dive without waiting once you reach altitude, you must add 2 pressure groups for 1000ft of elevation gained. Arriving the day before to get acclimatized is a good idea, but in terms of your nitrogen loading, you only need to wait 6 hours before diving. Similarly, a 6 hour interval after diving is sufficient before crossing a pass when exiting the basin. In the mid to late summer the shallow bays can get over 70f but the thermocline is wicked. We offer an altitude class in Tahoe every July. This year we will be camping at D.L. Bliss and diving Rubicon Wall, and hopefully the new underwater maritime heritage trail in Emerald Bay, the first of it's kind. Emerald Bay Maritime Heritage Trail

We have used Matt at High Sierra before and can recommend.

...early May...

And people say I’m crazy.

Air high temps average in the 60’s, can freeze at night. Water averages say 50, Can get to the mid 40’s, I have no idea what the thermoclines would be like. I wait ‘till later in the year, and the water is still cold.

If you dive wet, have a plan to get warm once out of the water. The wind can get going across the lake.

Have fun, and if you decide to dive Meeks Bay, PM me and I’ll dig up the landmarks and compass course for the powerboat wreck.

Bob
My avatar was taken at Meeks Bay Tahoe

Back
Top Bottom