Anyone use this Dive Flag? 3D Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen the inflatable dive flag buoy or the Mako float while diving in SE FL. Most of the flags look like the photo posted by @kelemvor or something like this:
View attachment 565038

This is the type of flag I have towed for many years. They last a long time and are low drag. The float material is more durable than the round white styrofoam ones. And, you don’t have to worry about punctures. It can also double as emergency flotation.

This looks really cool. Anyone use one?
I think it makes sense and would be visible, but not sure how good it is in real life scenarios.
Just looking for opinions from those that have actual experience.
Thanks

I am not familiar with that float. If you are not going to tow it any distance and you will not be diving in currents, it will probably work quite well.

It is difficult to recommend a particular solution without an explanation of the particular application. We offer a variety of surface floats (both inflatable and "hard") and many have the ability to attach a dive flag. All of our floats are designed to minimize drag and also could provide emergency flotation at the surface.

Perhaps looking over this selection of floats might give you some ideas about what might work best for you?

https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearfishing-Floats-s/99.htm

Every dive flag is an entanglement hazard that only makes you a target for jetskis and other asshats.

before you get any flag - make sure it meets your local laws - for example this flagg would not be legal in MA. Section 13A. Every scuba diver or group of scuba divers while swimming on or under the surface of the waters of the commonwealth shall display for each diver or group of divers as a warning device to boat operators, a diver's flag, so called, constructed of rigidly supported material at least twelve inches by fifteen inches in area of red background with a white diagonal stripe. Such diver's flag shall be displayed on a boat or surface float and shall extend a minimum distance of three feet from the surface of the water. Divers shall remain in an area within one hundred feet of such displayed diver's flag while at or near the surface of the water. A boat operator within sight of a diver's flag shall proceed with caution and within a radius of one hundred feet of such flag shall proceed at a speed not to exceed three miles per hour.
I believe N.J. regulations are similar.

I believe N.J. regulations are similar.
yup - even bigger
  1. Underwater diving with or without an underwater apparatus is permitted in all navigable waters of New Jersey unless otherwise prohibited herein.
  2. Any person, while diving shall mark his or her position with a buoyed flag approved by the New Jersey Boat Regulation Commission:
  3. Such flag shall be displayed so that it is visible all around the horizon from a buoy, float, boat or other floating object;
  4. Such flag shall be a minimum of 14 inches by 16 inches, shall be rigid to enhance visibility and shall be a red background with a white diagonal stripe running from one comer to the other.
  5. No person shall operate a vessel within 50 ft of the buoyed flag.
  6. No person shall display such a flag at times other than when diving is in progress.
  7. No person shall swim or dive in a narrow, confined or improved channel or in a marked fairway under a bridge or impede, obstruct or interfere with passage of a water craft therein.
  8. No diver shall surface more than 25 ft from his buoyed flag except in an emergency.
and then you have the conundrum of "No person shall operate a vessel within 50 ft of the buoyed flag." which of course would make a live boat/drift dive literally impossible.

Every dive flag is an entanglement hazard that only makes you a target for jetskis and other asshats.
It is the law in Florida that divers dive with a diver down flag. The diver down buoy was added to the list of compliant devices in 2014

yup - even bigger
  1. Underwater diving with or without an underwater apparatus is permitted in all navigable waters of New Jersey unless otherwise prohibited herein.
  2. Any person, while diving shall mark his or her position with a buoyed flag approved by the New Jersey Boat Regulation Commission:
  3. Such flag shall be displayed so that it is visible all around the horizon from a buoy, float, boat or other floating object;
  4. Such flag shall be a minimum of 14 inches by 16 inches, shall be rigid to enhance visibility and shall be a red background with a white diagonal stripe running from one comer to the other.
  5. No person shall operate a vessel within 50 ft of the buoyed flag.
  6. No person shall display such a flag at times other than when diving is in progress.
  7. No person shall swim or dive in a narrow, confined or improved channel or in a marked fairway under a bridge or impede, obstruct or interfere with passage of a water craft therein.
  8. No diver shall surface more than 25 ft from his buoyed flag except in an emergency.
and then you have the conundrum of "No person shall operate a vessel within 50 ft of the buoyed flag." which of course would make a live boat/drift dive literally impossible.
NJ requires a bigger flag but doesn’t have to be 3 ft tall like in MA. I use this one and have been happy with it.
F42FC755-EAF5-4536-B375-52FED2A3323E.jpeg

How does it do in brisk current and wind? We often have both in SE FL, not always in the same direction.
I hate using a flag in either current or wind. It sucks and you feel like you’re being drug around. I don’t like being connected to the surface world while I’m diving.
Wind does blow it around more than I would like, that is the least desirable condition to use it in. You can hang lead weights off the bottom or fill the center portion to limit the effect a bit. It does well in current or chop if you’re not hanging on it and pulling it down into the water. Thin line helps.

Back
Top Bottom