Talk me out of a apex black ice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So big thing with a BPW set up... do I have to wear a weight belt or is there someway it integrate weights? I absolutely hate a separate weight belt.
Also with a BPW you will probably need a noticeably less amount of weight. I went from diving in a 3 mm wetsuit with 4 kg to...0!

So big thing with a BPW set up... do I have to wear a weight belt or is there someway it integrate weights? I absolutely hate a separate weight belt.
You can use integrated weights, different solutions for different weight.

Is there a BPW for dummies book I can get? Seriously and guides as to what all is needed in a setup like this?

Is there a BPW for dummies book I can get? Seriously and guides as to what all is needed in a setup like this?

There is beginners guide to bpw as a sticky in the bouyancy compensator section. They are really simple any shop that carries them can get you the setup, the hard part is getting it adjusted. I highly recommend a local guide, tec or cave diver for this part.

Ok there is a complete dive rite setup in the classified section that seems a good deal ($250) and it’s within driving distance. For that price it might be worth a try? Seems like to good of a deal?

I don’t dive doubles but I am 6’5” and 250lbs if that helps

Please feel free to PM me, not looking to bash anyone’s sale items

For Sale - Dive Rite Transplate

I got integrated weight pockets for my XDeep Ghost system.
The backplate is very lightweight (the whole deluxe system weighs around 3kg) so with a 5mm wetsuit & 12L alu tank I needed 10kg (22lb) lead for the Red Sea - 8kg ditchable weight in the integrated weight pockets and 2kg in trim weight pockets on the cam band. That is currently the most weight I'm ever going to need, and is really the most weight I'd want to carry.
That is something you'll need to consider with a BPW. While a light backplate is good for travel, you may be better off with a stainless steel BP for your colder water diving. You could travel with it as you said you don't mind the weight, or just swop it out for a lighter BP for travel.

I am currently selling my Apeks Black Ice and will buy a BPW.

In the BCD category, the Black Ice is great:
- Back-inflate (good for trim);
- You can add 2kg up between your back and the bladder (good for trim);
- You have releasable weight pockets that take a ton of weight (nice if you dont like weight belts);
- Pockets are big enough for a second mask in one and spool+dsmb in the other);
- More than enough steel d-rings;

However, with a BPW you can have all that and:
1) Less unecessary features (such as padding, extra d-rings);
2) More modular;
3) Less drag (the apeks black ice has way too much lift);
4) Less failure points (continuous harness vs BCD with releases).

If you want a BCD, I think the Apeks Black Ice is an excelent option but if you are open to consider a BPW, I would recommend the latter.

For ditchable weights I use a cam strap with weight pockets around the bottom of my tank within reach with quick release.

There are two schools of thought regarding ditchable weights vs non ditchable weights, and fully integrated weights vs separate weights.
Fully integrated is great if you never plan to become separated from your rig either underwater or on the surface. Having all your weight on your rig means that if you ever have to remove it underwater you’re going up and your rig is going down. If you ever have to remove it on the surface you will need a wing big enough to float your rig plus all your weights which will mean an oversized wing.
If you have all your weight non ditchable this will limit you’re options to shed weight in the event you want to lighten the load for whatever reason.
Breaking your weights up means that you alone will be more neutral and your rig will be more neutral at depth. On the surface your rig will float easier with a smaller wing and you will float on the surface a little lower meaning you will get better traction finning instead of floating like a cork in a thick wetsuit on the surface.
If you ever want to lighten yourself and still keep your rig on you can do that. I think separate ditchable weights are the most versatile and safest option.
I still use a weightbelt for all these reasons. I’ve found that the rubber freediving belts to be comfortable and they don’t slide around.

Back
Top Bottom