PADI AOW training materials??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I planning on taking the PADI AOW coarse in warm water this March. After evaluating the coarse training material options, I’ve elected to go with the “manual” approach (not eLearning). I started looking online today for the PADI AOW manual and I’m not sure what’s what. I found the “crew pack” which has the manual, whistle, slate and sausage. I also found another package which includes the manual and a CD/DVD which reportedly has videos on it. I’m confused what’s what, needed or best.

Are there any PADI instructors or knowledgeable divers out there who know why there are two packages and the value of each, or able to detail what AOW training materials are best and appropriate for PADI AOW courses taught today. Do these packages have a version or product number that can be used to assure that I’m ordering the current version.

Many thanks for help with this!

I planning on taking the PADI AOW coarse in warm water this March. After evaluating the coarse training material options, I’ve elected to go with the “manual” approach (not eLearning). I started looking online today for the PADI AOW manual and I’m not sure what’s what. I found the “crew pack” which has the manual, whistle, slate and sausage. I also found another package which includes the manual and a CD/DVD which reportedly has videos on it. I’m confused what’s what, needed or best.

Are there any PADI instructors or knowledgeable divers out there who know why there are two packages and the value of each, or able to detail what AOW training materials are best and appropriate for PADI AOW courses taught today. Do these packages have a version or product number that can be used to assure that I’m ordering the current version.

Please note I am not with PADI anymore, but this is from the 2017 instructor manual. It may have changed.

Materials
Required
• PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Manual (printed), or
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Touch
Exception: When the diver has PADI specialty manuals or AWARE materials for each Adventure Dive conducted.
• Log book
Each student diver must use the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Multipurpose Data Carrier (69230) during open water dives.
Recommended
• PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Video
• PADI Specialty Diver Manuals and videos
• AWARE course materials

Pop by the shop you are getting the training from. They will have what you need. They will also let you know if there is a speciality they mandate or if you can pick any.

Pop by the shop you are getting the training from. They will have what you need. They will also let you know if there is a speciality they mandate or if you can pick any.
That's what I was about to write. Back when I took it 14 years ago all I recall getting was the manual ("Adventures in Diving"). My instructor did give me a spare "NAV FINDER" he had lying around. That's an interesting puzzle to figure out (HE finally did...).
Oops, forgot I did get the slate.

You ought to confirm with the place/instructor you are intending to take your AOW with what your requirements specifically are, but in general you will need the manual and slate (product 70139) (it includes the AOW slate (69230)). Class also requires a SMB and an audible signaling device (a.k.a. whistle) for the dives, which are in the crewpack (although the SMB is a really cheap one). Careful just willy-nilly buying stuff on-line; you often will get old, out-of-date products. You want the "AOW" material, not the "AID" Adventures in Diving material. The AOW manual alone is part number 79199, but is not available by itself.

Better not buy anything before you talk to the instructor who will certify you.
You may end up buying more, less, or something different than you need.
Also note that when you buy direct from PADI you pay top price when most shops will give you a discount. PADI does this to encourage you to deal with your shop.

After looking at the Padi website for AOW manuals (they sell), I could only find AOW adventure manuals which is for three adventure dives. Going this route you have to take the other two adventure dives later before one gets the AOW card. I saw no AOW materials (70139) for the 5 class certification and AOW card. Could Padi be getting away from the 5 card course (which would make more money for them in the long run?

It’s five specialty dives, not five specialty classes

It’s five specialty dives, not five specialty classes
And those single specialty dives are called adventure dives.....each being the first dive of a particular specialty. it is a taster....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom