Mares Horizon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m not a rebreather diver but this does interest me for the majority of my diving.
It looks like a safe and simple unit for recreational diving.
Thoughts

There is no simple and safe rebreather

Am rebreather shopping right now. Read the manual for the top contender and almost every page says this this will pretty much kill ya...LOL.

I agree with you. I should have stated, it’s marketed as a safer system.

More than anything, I feel that the Horizon is Paul/Mares attempt to see what improvements they can make on the Revo platform while they work on the Revo4. It's definitely not a unit marketed or intended for ccr divers. It's not a unit of consideration for me personally but I can appreciate some of the design work. The CL design is improved from the Revo and the package is lightweight and includes both bailout regulators. You cannot mount a standard backplate to it and are required to use the included soft pack. You can change the FO2 setpoint middive. I'm curious what happens when you push it past the maximum deco limit. I think they have it priced at an appropriate point and hope it doesn't suffer the fate of the Explorer long term.

Pro: designed and made by Revo, which have a proven track reocrd building rebreathers
Con: SCR, which in my personal opion combine the drawbacks of OC and CC in one unit
Time will tell, but I would never be an early adopter of a new unit as they tend to need some time to work out all the small stuff and enough feedback on theri particulars is available

If a track proven record manufacture, Revo, puts their engineering into a product for Mares you’d think it’d be an acceptable unit.
What makes a ccr or scr unit better or worse than the other.

I'm not an experienced RB diver. But i'm a technical diver looking to buy a RB, i have some buddy's that dive RB's and read some stuff lately. This is just my 2 cents.

There is no such thing as a recreational RB(altho some brands claim them to be). They all scrub/mix gasses on the go and are way more complex then OC. My opinion is that a diver should have some knowledge about mixed gas diving(and the risks that come with it) before making to step to a RB. Diving with a RB is also quite expensive when you are just doing shallow dives (dives without trimix).

The scr is a semi-closed rebreather and still will leave some bubbles, it's way less efficient then a ccr. Some years ago i talked to some divers that used the rb80, They said the scr's are safer cause they don't rely on electronics. I'm not experienced enough to say if thats true or not. But i do know some of these same divers are diving a ccr (jj) now that gue introduced the ccr class.
A ccr has a lot of advantages over a scr unit, I wouldn't buy a scr myself.

Another thing to think about is, are you gonne stay within this recreational limits forever? If you pick a decent unit, it can grow with you.

Am rebreather shopping right now. Read the manual for the top contender and almost every page says this this will pretty much kill ya...LOL.
you know RB diving is for you when all the giant bolded red letters saying that something will kill you on every page doesnt deter you from getting one.

I'm not an experienced RB diver. But i'm a technical diver looking to buy a RB, i have some buddy's that dive RB's and read some stuff lately. This is just my 2 cents.

There is no such thing as a recreational RB(altho some brands claim them to be). They all scrub/mix gasses on the go and are way more complex then OC. My opinion is that a diver should have some knowledge about mixed gas diving(and the risks that come with it) before making to step to a RB. Diving with a RB is also quite expensive when you are just doing shallow dives (dives without trimix).

The scr is a semi-closed rebreather and still will leave some bubbles, it's way less efficient then a ccr. Some years ago i talked to some divers that used the rb80, They said the scr's are safer cause they don't rely on electronics. I'm not experienced enough to say if thats true or not. But i do know some of these same divers are diving a ccr (jj) now that gue introduced the ccr class.
A ccr has a lot of advantages over a scr unit, I wouldn't buy a scr myself.

Another thing to think about is, are you gonne stay within this recreational limits forever? If you pick a decent unit, it can grow with you.

Yes. RB divers should have knowledge about mixed gases but doing a trimix RB dive is considered to be very advanced. There are plenty of posts on SB that talk about the cost per dive and eq purchase, maybe go have a look at that. IMO, going into CCRs and not at least knowing what they are about is going to kill you or leave you out of pocket. Do plenty, plenty of research. Plenty of factors that could affect your decision of make/model of your CCR such as availability of parts, instructors and etc.

When talking about safety, the SCR and CCRs don't differ much in my opinion, its the diver and how the diver mitigates problems, it all comes down to training. with that being said. SCRs dont use 100% o2 so TECHNICALLY, they're safer.. i guess? :p

To OP: The Horizon looks absolutely stunning. hope more details come out soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom