Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless also filled to 3000 psi :)

I assume this is a joke :D even though the tech said the steal tank can go up to 3600psi before it explode, and this is around what he will bring it up to during his test if I understand him correct.

I assume this is a joke :D even though the tech said the steal tank can go up to 3600psi before it explode, and this is around what he will bring it up to during his test if I understand him correct.

Take a trip to FL cave country the over fills are chilling. My 72's get pumped to 2400 psi because the LDS owner is friend of mine.

Anything done wrong or incorrectly can be dangerous in this sport. ......................
So why promote an incorrect procedure as confirmed by all major training agencies.

SELL IT TO A VINTAGE DIVER, LEARN TO DIVE PREFERABLY WITH RENTAL GEAR AND A TRAINING ORGANIZATION, SAVE THE AIR ITS PROBABLY A PRICELESS TIME CAPSULE FROM 50YEARS AGO

So why promote an incorrect procedure as confirmed by all major training agencies.

I only posted what I do,I'm not associated with any agency, I didn't promote anything. I asked a poster, not you a question. You escalated even after I asked you to stop. Quit the thread hi-jack already you're getting boring.

if I can get similar capacity as the AL80 and lighter weight, then that is a plus. Since I remember bitching about carrying those rental tanks up and down the road.

Look at A steel HP100 or HP80. HP80 will give you a little more than an AL80 in a shorter tank that weighs less. A HP100 will give you 23 more CU FT of gas at about the same size and weight as an AL80.

Aren't students taught to verify an open valve by checking second stages for gas flow and monitoring the SPG needle for fluctuation? If they don't know "lefty loosey ...." then checking the position of the valve handle does no good at all, quarter turn or not.

On a separate note, if the OP's 72 had been made 3 months later I might have made an offer for it. I have been looking for a tank born 8/66, same as me :)

I have a 72 with a J valve. I don't have the rod but I just dive with it in the down position and use my spg like normal. The only issue I have is the 0 ring is a weird size that doesn't come in the save a dive 0 ring boxes, so I have to go begging at my LDS to find the correct size. They always find one for me. :heart:

When did this start with the J valve in the down position? I have been diving since 1959 with a J valve and never turned it down before a dive. I no longer use the tank rod but, look at it this way, you have an extra 300 to 500 pounds if you need it. You always have extra O-rings in your dive kit, you'll have them when you need them.

Aren't students taught to verify an open valve by checking second stages for gas flow and monitoring the SPG needle for fluctuation? If they don't know "lefty loosey ...." then checking the position of the valve handle does no good at all, quarter turn or not.

Please don't get him going again.

as I have taught for 30 years check the regs then the gauge as you are breathing it will before you get in the water (eg air off or just open 1/4 turn ) if you don't then you get the 60 foot out of air situation ....only 1 person to blame , the idiot diver PS nothing wrong with diving a 72 if its in hydro/vip and has a good valve

Back
Top Bottom