Yet another weight calculation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decided to try and work with OBC again. This time I started with a 0 value for personal buoyancy, which gave me a suggested lead value of 16lbs. On my last dives 12lbs was just about right, so I adjusted the personal buoyancy value until I was given a result of 12lbs.

I'll be doing my next dives in March with a new wetsuit so I will be very interested to see how OBC's suggested weight (20lbs in a new 5mil fullsuit) matches reality.

I am deeply sceptical about any mathematical approach to determining weighting without actually getting wet. Given you are in NY State I assume you are not going to get in the sea locally, but can you get in a pool? If so you can do a proper weight check adding and removing weight a little at a time.

A proper weight check is done at last stop depth, so ideally 3m, and is about only just being able to stay down with a nearly empty cylinder. It certainly does not involve being at the surface with some random part of the top of your head exposed.

Once you have a pool, fresh water, weight add 3% of your total weight, I expect of everything you took in the water. That weight was the weigh of displaced fresh water, the sea water will be 3% denser.

You will always be overweighted on a real dive. You will have more gas and if wearing a wetsuit it will be more compressed than when you did the weight check. Being a couple of kg over is not at all the end of the world, obviously though you don’t want to be both over weight because of gas and wetsuits compression and a couple more on top as eventually it will impact on your control.

Back
Top Bottom