Bag drag - ADO vs private transfer speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning my return-trip bag drag and trying to figure out if I need a private transfer.

Flight out of Cancun is 11:15 am.
I'm thinking I can take the 7am ferry which arrives in PDC at...7:45 or 8, I think? The ferry websites are a bit vague on arrival time.
ADO has a bus departing at 8:15.

Will that leave me enough time to get to the airport via the ADO bus, or would I be safer taking a private transfer?

Ferries are vague because it varies. Not unusual for them to push off 10 minutes after the hour. But you should be at the PDC dock by 8 and then you'll need to make haste to get to the ADO station as there may be a line to purchase tickets. Getting on the 8:15 bus is probable but not certain. When is the next one? Usually every 20 minutes or so. Then count on 1:15 if normal traffic which puts you at terminal about 9:30 which should be plenty of time. However, if you must take an 8:40am or so bus that gets you there around 10am which is getting close to the 60-minute checked baggage cutoff (which is strictly enforced in my experience). Throw in a traffic accident and you're potentially hosed, bus or taxi. I once encountered a 3 hour delay due to a major accident.

Assuming you can't change flight to a later one or willing to stay in PDC the final night, I'd go with ADO if I can make the 8:15 bus, if not then step out and get a taxi.

Ferries are vague because it varies. Not unusual for them to push off 10 minutes after the hour. But you should be at the PDC dock by 8 and then you'll need to make haste to get to the ADO station as there may be a line to purchase tickets. Getting on the 8:15 bus is probable but not certain. When is the next one? Usually every 20 minutes or so. Then count on 1:15 if normal traffic which puts you at terminal about 9:30 which should be plenty of time. However, if you must take an 8:40am or so bus that gets you there around 10am which is getting close to the 60-minute checked baggage cutoff (which is strictly enforced in my experience). Throw in a traffic accident and you're potentially hosed, bus or taxi. I once encountered a 3 hour delay due to a major accident.

Assuming you can't change flight to a later one or willing to stay in PDC the final night, I'd go with ADO if I can make the 8:15 bus, if not then step out and get a taxi.

^^^^
I'd agree.

When it's been close for us, I've purchased ADO tickets on the island in advance. However, I've noticed that the tickets available for advance purchase on the island are more limited in selection that at the station. That is, not all runs are available for purchase on the island. Yes, I know, it makes absolutely no sense, but..... with my very own eyes.

The ferry will get you there in time for the 8:15 bus. I would consider buying your bus ticket ahead of time, I have noticed the buses are starting to get filled up during peak season. Right in front of the bus station the cabs are trying to get business, 200 Pesos for a shared cab and 700 for a private cab, usually 45 minutes to the terminal. The ADO can take an hour an a half to get to T3 since it is the last stop.

The last couple time I flew out I took the Bus to down town Cancun the evening prior and spent the night at Hotel Kavia. Less than $40 a night. Short walk from the bus stations and plenty of bars and restaurants near by. Then a 30 minute bus ride to the airport the next morning.

I'd take the 5:45 am ferry, and did once.

I find ADO pretty reliable as far as getting in on time

Thanks for all the tips. Taking the ferry the night before and staying in PDC or Cancun is tempting, but it means I'd probably have to check out of my hotel before diving on my last morning, and I'll get off the dive boat in the afternoon with nowhere to shower, change, or dry my gear before packing it up.

I'm leaning towards the cab or private shuttle option. Are there pros and cons to just getting a taxi in PDC vs pre-arranging a private transfer? I imagine the private transfer is a bit more expensive?

Why not keep it simple by taking the 5:45 am ferry, arrive PDC by 7 am, 7:30 am bus, be at airport by 9 am?

Thanks for all the tips. Taking the ferry the night before and staying in PDC or Cancun is tempting, but it means I'd probably have to check out of my hotel before diving on my last morning, and I'll get off the dive boat in the afternoon with nowhere to shower, change, or dry my gear before packing it up.

I'm leaning towards the cab or private shuttle option. Are there pros and cons to just getting a taxi in PDC vs pre-arranging a private transfer? I imagine the private transfer is a bit more expensive?

So keep your room in Coz and take the 9pm ferry over. Get a cheap room in PDC. Plenty of decent ones for ~$50. Or get a cheap room in Cancun by the downtown ADO station, take the 7pm ferry and 8pm bus. Then you can sleep until 9am.

Or talk to your hotel about a late checkout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom