Oh oh... DAN in Quebec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I received this letter from DAN, does anyone know the details about this? Is it some law in Quebec, or something that we should be trying to get changed? What are people doing about this?

Dive Accident Insurance for DAN Members in Quebec

Updated 1/13/2020

Since 1980, DAN has been committed to diver safety and has offered products and
services for the benefit of divers around the world.

Unfortunately, due to insurance regulation changes, DAN is unable to offer dive
accident insurance to residents of Quebec. This affects existing DAN members who
wish to renew their policies as well as prospective DAN members seeking to
purchase dive accident insurance policies for the first time.

Coverage for DAN members who currently hold an active dive accident insurance
policy will remain in effect until the policys stated termination date.

We cannot estimate when our dive accident plans will become available again for
sale in Quebec. However, residents of Quebec can still join DAN as members and
receive the associated benefits, which include up to $150,000 in emergency
evacuation assistance, access to DANs 24/7 emergency hotline and medical
information line and a subscription to Alert Diver magazine.

We will provide an update when the situation changes. If you have questions
about DAN membership, please call DAN Member Services at +1 (800) 446-2671 and
select Option 3, or explore our website at DAN.org
<http://www.dan.org/membership> .

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your support of Divers Alert
Network.
I was kind of hoping to go diving this year in Quebec, but not without insurance!

I know nothing about the situation in Quebec, but often times finding out what the exact regulatory problem is can help in approaching your local lawmakers about remedies for such probably unintentional consequences. Sometimes with success!

I agree, I'd like to know what the exact regulatory issue is

I agree, I'd like to know what the exact regulatory issue is

DAN should be able to answer the question, though it may be in "regulatory speak".

One presumes and hopes that there is a distinction between offering DAN coverage to residents of Quebec and DAN honoring coverage for non-residents who may be diving in Quebec.

Here is a thread from a couple of years ago FQAS visitor permit dealing with the diving permits required in Quebec.

I received this letter from DAN, does anyone know the details about this? Is it some law in Quebec, or something that we should be trying to get changed? What are people doing about this?

Dive Accident Insurance for DAN Members in Quebec

Updated 1/13/2020

Since 1980, DAN has been committed to diver safety and has offered products and
services for the benefit of divers around the world.

Unfortunately, due to insurance regulation changes, DAN is unable to offer dive
accident insurance to residents of Quebec. This affects existing DAN members who
wish to renew their policies as well as prospective DAN members seeking to
purchase dive accident insurance policies for the first time.

Coverage for DAN members who currently hold an active dive accident insurance
policy will remain in effect until the policys stated termination date.

We cannot estimate when our dive accident plans will become available again for
sale in Quebec. However, residents of Quebec can still join DAN as members and
receive the associated benefits, which include up to $150,000 in emergency
evacuation assistance, access to DANs 24/7 emergency hotline and medical
information line and a subscription to Alert Diver magazine.

We will provide an update when the situation changes. If you have questions
about DAN membership, please call DAN Member Services at +1 (800) 446-2671 and
select Option 3, or explore our website at DAN.org
<http://www.dan.org/membership> .

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your support of Divers Alert
Network.
I was kind of hoping to go diving this year in Quebec, but not without insurance!

TP...

Where on ''Earth'' do you reside...if you reside outside of Que...your insurance...whatever that may be...is unaffected...the regulation restriction is for Quebec ''residents only''...

Having said that...you will need an FQAS...Federation Quebec Activities Scuba...C-Card to be able to dive legally in Quebec...and only an FQAS Mandataire can provide that certification for you...

You need to make arrangements with an FQAS Mandataire prior to your intended dive dates...the Mandataire will meet you on site...ask you some basic questions...request to see all your C-Cards...perform with the Mandataire in-water fundamentals...pass the requirements...pay the fee...get your card...

Arrangements for a Mandataire can be made through most Que. based dive shops...or directly through the Provincial Government of Quebec...

If you get caught in Quebec diving without your FQAS card...you ''can be'' fined...have your gear impounded...have your vehicle impounded...genuine ''Scuba Police''...

Hope this helps...
W.M...

TP...

Where on ''Earth'' do you reside...if you reside outside of Que...your insurance...whatever that may be...is unaffected...the regulation restriction is for Quebec ''residents only''...

Having said that...you will need an FQAS...Federation Quebec Activities Scuba...C-Card to be able to dive legally in Quebec...and only an FQAS Mandataire can provide that certification for you...

You need to make arrangements with an FQAS Mandataire prior to your intended dive dates...the Mandataire will meet you on site...ask you some basic questions...request to see all your C-Cards...perform with the Mandataire in-water fundamentals...pass the requirements...pay the fee...get your card...

Arrangements for a Mandataire can be made through most Que. based dive shops...or directly through the Provincial Government of Quebec...

If you get caught in Quebec diving without your FQAS card...you ''can be'' fined...have your gear impounded...have your vehicle impounded...genuine ''Scuba Police''...

Hope this helps...
W.M...

This issue has exactly 0 thing in common with FQAS (as stupid fqas is anyway)

It's a legit insurance stupid quebec regulation because we are such a useless place on earth so we have to make it difficult for no reason.

Im born in quebec, will never dive there.

The issue is only for residents of Quebec and not divers visiting to my understanding.. Like always they like to complicate everything here!

As for the FQAS visite their web site, for visitors there are visitor passes instead of paying the annual permit and requirements..

I haven’t seen any dive police yet but some dive ops ask you for the card..

YOU will NOT have your gear impounded , operators may not take you out on a charter but that's it Morrison quarry doesn't ask for it ...I know ive dived AND TAUGHT there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom